Data form for many contact types (1 Viewer)

JohanH

Local time
Today, 12:46
New to VBA and DBs, a lot of background reading though.

I would like to develop a form for data entry that will input “Contact Details” into a “Contact Table”. This I find easy to understand if I am only creating one record at a time and the one record is input into an underlying table. However the challenge for me is that my form will need to show many different types of “Contacts”, for example “Owner”. “Architect”, ”Engineer”, ”Builder”, “Agent”, etc.
Each “Contact Type” will need to relate to a project reference or ID; I assume this will be via programming at or on form level. So one project can have many Contacts easily referenced and related.
For each “Contact” record I would like the “Contact Type” to be enforced via use of (I’m guessing a sub-form), so for example a Form representing project 007, the sub form will collect data for example the “Owner”, the owner field being pre populated because the owner sub-form is operating or used.
It will be nice if each sub-form as it is used and data collected and saved to the underlying table is turned to grey confirming operation of the sub-form, perhaps some control via VBA and a command button?

Thanks in advance

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
See my reply to your identical post in the introduce yourself section.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:46
Sounds like you have 3 tables??

PROJECT
Contact
ContactType

I recommend you get your business facts defined, then tables and relationships, then forms.

JohanH

Local time
I have not been sure how to organise tables and get form to work with them. I am hoping my form will be the front end with say four record sets visible, each record being the name and address of the different types of people relevant to a project. In this case a building project with the property owner, the builder, the architect, the engineers contact information visible on my form.
In the past I have tried three tables PROJECT, CONTACTS, & , CONTACT TYPE, I found that the design wizard within my version of Access didn’t let me place field onto the form more than once.
I’m now trying four tables that will contain identical contact info fields with one field “Contact_Type” default value = builder or owner or architect. This does not seem very elegant because I have many similar fields in different tables. I also find that I cannot enter data in to a table unless the primary table, in this case the PROJECT table has a record set within, this is ok but how do I automate the data entry into the field within the contact table that requires a value? In this case the PROJECT is the one side and each CONTACT table the many side of the relationship. Each table I have is joined via ID NotifiedWork field.
I have a hunch that some code may need to be placed into the form
Thanks for your reply I will keep on trying to solve the problem

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I suggest you describe your "business" in plain, simple English with no jargon and no database terms.
Just tell readers what a typical day or days in the "business" involves. Forget forms and tables etc until readers get an understanding of what you are trying to support with some automation.

JohanH

Local time
thanks perhaps some images next time time for bed.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Just a description of the "business" in simple English--just as you would describe to an 8 year old who knows nothing of you, database, your business or Access.

If you want a tutorial to guide the process, try this one from RogersAccessLibrary. You have to work through it, but you will learn to work from a clear description to a database design.

Good luck.

JohanH

Local time
Thanks for that I will read through information this week and get my act together, I hope.
Bed time reading.

Ta

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom