Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Modules & VBA

Old 10-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Tupacmoche
Newly Registered User

Tupacmoche is on a distinguished road
PasteAppend Functionality

Hi All,

This code worked fine once when, I wrote it. Then when testing it again the PasteAppend button became grayed out. In this code, I call the Paste Append functionality from code but now, I get this error: Run-time error '2046' The command or action 'PasteAppend' isn't available now. Why? What did, I do to disable it? I have googled many articles about adding library references ect but it still does not work. I have even see numerous discussions on this site but can't get it to work. Can anyone see what, I'm missing? Here is the code:

Private Sub btnClear_Click()
Dim LResponse As Integer
Dim msg1 As String
Dim msg2 As String
Dim cdb As DAO.Database
Dim qdef As DAO.QueryDef
msg1 = "You have choosen to continue..."
msg2 = "Exiting... User has canceled."
LResponse = MsgBox("Are you sure you want to clear old MRN's and add new ones?", vbYesNo, "Continue")
If LResponse = vbYes Then
'MsgBox (msg1)
Set cdb = CurrentDb
Set qdef = cdb.CreateQueryDef("")
qdef.Connect = cdb.TableDefs("dbo_MRN_Import").Connect
qdef.SQL = "EXEC dbo.sp_MRN_CleanUp"
qdef.ReturnsRecords = False
qdef.Execute dbFailOnError
Set qdef = Nothing
Set cdb = Nothing
Me.MRN_Inport_subform.Requery
MsgBox ("Old MRN's deleted, click ok to add new import.")
RunCommand acCmdPasteAppend
MsgBox ("Update Complete...!")
Else
MsgBox (msg2)
End If
End Sub

Tupacmoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 3,602 Times in 3,546 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold
Re: PasteAppend Functionality

Not a method I've used, but make sure the record source of the form allows you to add a new record, and that the Allow Additions property is Yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pbaldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
JHB
Have been here a while

Location: In the south of Denmark (Jutland), near the German border.
Thanked 1,790 Times in 1,756 Posts
JHB will become famous soon enough JHB will become famous soon enough

Could it be because the focus is on a control or something else where you're not able to paste anything?

Old 10-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
Mark_
Newly Registered User

Mark_ is on a distinguished road

What do you have selected when you try to paste? Has something been removed that would select something you could then paste?

The segment of code does not include neither the selection nor copy that would be needed prior to pasting.

Please see THIS for an example of what would normally be found when using paste.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:54 AM   #5
Tupacmoche
Newly Registered User

Thanks for the comments. Yes, the additions property is set to on or yes. The focus is on a singular subform that accepts the data. Now, to the third comment. The way, I select the data is with the mouse. This is an end user tool so, I want to keep it as simple as possible. At first, I simple put the cursor on the first row, column where the data was being copied to and selected PasteAppend from the menu. But, that stopped working as I mentioned in the first post. I added the programmatic code AFTER the PasteAppend menu choose stopped working in an attempt to circumvent the grayed out button and then got the error code message that I mentioned. I will keep looking for an answer but if anyone else has a solution please post it. Thanks to all.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #6
missinglinq
AWF VIP

missinglinq is just really nice missinglinq is just really nice missinglinq is just really nice missinglinq is just really nice missinglinq is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post

...make sure the record source of the form allows you to add a new record
You need to check this, as Paul suggested, This error almost always means that the RecordSource for the Form is Read-Only, for whatever reason.

Can you edit a Record on the Form?

Linq ;0)>

(All code solutions tested in Access 2003/2007, before posting, unless otherwise noted.)
missinglinq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:47 AM   #7
Tupacmoche
Newly Registered User

Thanks for your comments missinglinq but as, I mentioned, I already did that. But there is a new interesting wrinkle to this problem that I discovered. This import process is on a tabbed form. When, I select other tabs the PasteAppend button become available. It only becomes grayed out when I select the Import MRN tab. Does this shed any light on the issue?

Old 10-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #8
missinglinq
AWF VIP

missinglinq is just really nice missinglinq is just really nice missinglinq is just really nice missinglinq is just really nice missinglinq is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupacmoche View Post
Thanks for your comments missinglinq but as, I mentioned, I already did that.
Sorry, but you don't mention anywhere where you've checked this Form to see if you can add a Record...or edit a Record. The AllowAdditions property being set to Yes doesn't automatically mean that you can add new Records.

What the Form allowed before it stopped working has nothing to do with what it's doing now.

Linq ;0)>

(All code solutions tested in Access 2003/2007, before posting, unless otherwise noted.)
missinglinq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #9
Tupacmoche
Newly Registered User

ok, so what else do, I have to check?
Old 10-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #10
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

What is the record source of the form, a table or a query? If a query, can you add a record directly in the query?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #11
Tupacmoche
Newly Registered User

The record source is a linked table that is SQL Server 2008 R2. I can type into the table and it when I query the table in SQL MS, can see what, I added. Then, I deleted the rows and re-queried the table in SQL MS and it was gone. Now, I selected 250 rows from an Excel worksheet and tried to select PasteAppend and it is still grayed out.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #12
Tupacmoche
Newly Registered User

Pbaldy,

I have attached a screen shot of the form used to paste in the Excel values. Just to show the process more completely. The clear import button simple calls a sproc to truncate the table. The second button Update... paste in the selected Excel values and updates some other tables. When, I first started this I would simple put the cursor into the SourcePatientMRN filed and PasteAppend from the menu. When it stopped working, I tried the programmatic method that, I sent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MRN_Import.JPG (34.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 10-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #13
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

I note in the navigation buttons at the bottom, the new record icon is disabled. That would indicate you can't add a new record via that form. You say the source is a linked SQL Server table? Can you add a record via the linked table, or are you adding directly in SQL Server. If the SQL Server doesn't have a primary key defined, you won't be able to add records via the linked table.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #14
Tupacmoche
Newly Registered User

The grid is a sub-form within the form. The linked SQL table has only two columns that are the data source bound to the linked table. When it worked, I simple pasted into the sub-form and the table was populated. I always add a PK but, I check to make sure.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #15
JHB
Have been here a while

Location: In the south of Denmark (Jutland), near the German border.
Thanked 1,790 Times in 1,756 Posts
JHB will become famous soon enough JHB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
I note in the navigation buttons at the bottom, the new record icon is disabled. That would indicate you can't add a new record via that form. ...
That would be correct if you're not standing in a new record ready for inputting data. The star to the left indicate you're in a new record.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewRecord.jpg (41.1 KB, 66 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: