Access 2013 - web app - table events - multiple record update (1 Viewer)

tacklers

Local time
Today, 12:42
Working through Inside Out/Microsoft Access 2013 I cannot suss whether it is possible to update two tables in one on-event section.

On a record create I have an on-insert macro and read a table to retrieve a reference number.

I cannot update this table in the same on-insert section, I have to put the same code in the on-update event trigger.

What am I missing?

pr2-eugin

Super Moderator
Local time
Hello tacklers, Welcome to AWF :)

Could you be more generic in your explanation. Probably explain in simple words without any Access jargon; what is that you wish to do. So we can guide you correctly?

tacklers

Local time
Thanks Paul.

When a new record is created I want to assign it a reference number which is held in another table. I do a Lookup okay, I then want to increment the reference number by one, ready for the next create, but cannot do a setfield/edit on the record 'looked up' there are context message issues.

I had thought to do both updates from a macro associated with an on-insert event but it appears I can only set fields in the 'new' record being created.

I have now coded a data macro which is called from the on-insert macro this works, is it the 'standard' way or should I have been able to update the reference table as inline code in the on-insert event macro?

Cheers.

AccessJunkie

Senior Managing Editor
Local time
Today, 04:42
Hi,

You should be able to set fields in records being "looked up" through the Look Up Record data action. You just have to remember that in order to use a Set Field action, it has to be wrapped inside an EditRecord data block first.

Is this not working for you?

--------------------
Jeff Conrad - Access Junkie - MVP Alumnus
Senior SDET - Access Test Team - Microsoft Corporation

Author - Microsoft Access 2013 Inside Out
Author - Microsoft Access 2010 Inside Out
Co-author - Microsoft Office Access 2007 Inside Out
Access 2007/2010/2013 Info: http://www.AccessJunkie.com

----------
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx
----------

tacklers

Local time
AhHa,

Got it. Yes, an edit record block within a lookup does work. Thank you.

I had gone around the houses looking at context and aliases.

Really appreciated.

Cheers, Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom