2010 versus 2013 (1 Viewer)

Donna Kelly

Local time
Today, 19:19
Hi Folks,

I'm creating a (relatively) simple web application and I'm using 2010 because my end users have 2010, and if they ever need to download/maintain the application, then all will be well.

However, SharePoint Online is a 2013 environment, and more to the point, uses SQL Server instead of SharePoint lists. Now, SQL Server is my innermost comfort zone, and assuming that I can see the database, then I'd be a happy camper. Question: can I see the underlying database?

A bigger question is this, regarding 2013 and 2010: is there any real difference between the two platforms from the developer's viewpoint?

I mean, you're still doing desktop development of what is eventually going to get published to a SharePoint environment. I've read the Discontinued features and modified functionality in Access 2013 and I couldn't really see any significant difference.

The biggest question is this: is there any value in setting up a 2013 development environment and migrating the application to Access 2013?

What are your opinions regarding 2013? Both Access 2013 and the SharePoint 2013 Online environment? Like it? Hate it? Don't see any difference?

Cheers,
Donna

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:19
I'm sure you're going to some more comprehensive replies so let me just say...

Client/Desktop Database VBA = Yes
Web Database VBA = No

Well, can't migrate ANY of my existing databases without a complete rewrite and even then there isn't a Data Macro in the world that can handle most of my code. That said, Web databases have come a long way and when I do create one (and I will be playing with one in a few months), I'm going with Access 2013 because of Office 365 opens up options Access 2010 never had.

Donna Kelly

Local time
Today, 19:19
@GinaWhipp. I am sorry for being unclear. When I said "I'm creating a (relatively) simple web application and I'm using 2010" I meant that this was a 2010 Web Database.

My question related to the 2013 environment, and migration of a 2010 Web Database to a 2013 Web App.

VBA never came into the picture at all.

You say
I'm going with Access 2013 because of Office 365 opens up options Access 2010 never had

Indeed, this goes to the heart of my post. I cannot see that a 2013 Web App is significantly more function-rich than a 2010 Web Database.

BTW, We have been using SharePoint Online since 2012, and we do not see any significant functional changes. True, the 2013 'experience' is changed. In our opinion it has become a flat, uninteresting and monochrome landscape, based on the Metro UX. Oops, Modern. OTOH, it's entirely possible that someone who knows more than I do may be aware of stuff that makes the move worthwhile. Again, that's the reason for my post.

I'd add that I agree with those who think that Access Desktop/VBA can be a really powerful development environment . . . but practically speaking, we need to create cloud-based applications, and that means SharePoint Online, Data Macros, and the rest.

Cheers, Donna

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom