Can you convert a split database from mdb to accdb? (1 Viewer)

bluetongue

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:10
I have a database in Access 2003 format with the backend on a network drive and the frontend on individual PCs.

I converted the backend to 2007 format. then converted the frontend and relinked all the tables. The code behind the forms no longer works giving a 'File not Found' error when controls on the form are clicked. The form code is visible in the VBA editor but seems no longer linked to the controls.

There were network drive problems before and after the conversion giving a "Could not send the command to the program" error message. I repeated the conversion on my own PC using backup copies on my own PC and relinked before the conversion, but with the same result. This leads me to believe the problem is with the conversion and not with the network drive.

Fortunately, I have backups and can restore to a working set of databases about 5 days old.

The message which appears after conversion seems to indicate that you cannot link tables between access 2003 and 2007 versions.

I also on occasions received a "Cannot convert attached files" message - could this be due to memo field in one of the tables?

I would be grateful for any assistance.

mdlueck

Sr. Application Developer
Local time
Yesterday, 19:10
Have you tried running the Linked Table Manager? Since you say the BE changed from a .mdb to an .accdb file, I would look there first.

bluetongue

Registered User.
Local time
I used the Linked table manager to relink the files.

The problem occurs during the conversion of the form - VBA displays a number of "File not Found" messages in rapid succession.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
All the databases I have converted have had SQL Server BE's so I haven't run into this. Start by converting the FE first because a 2007 FE can link to a 2003 BE but not vice versa. Once that works, you can convert the BE. Then use the linked tables manager to relink the tables. If that fails, delete the links and relink from scratch.

bluetongue

Registered User.
Local time
When attempting to convert the database on my work PC I received several "File not found" messages from VBA.

When attempting the conversion on my home PC there were no "File not found " messages instead I received a message stating

"The database cannot be opened because the VBA project contained in it cannot be read. The database can be opened only if the VBA project is first deleted. Deleting the VBA project removes all code from modules, forms and reports. You should backup your database before attempting to open the database and delete the VBA project.

"To create a backup copy, click Cancel and then make a backup copy of youe database. To open the database and delete the VBA project without creating a backup copy, click OK."

There seems to be no way around this without doing this and recoding the forms, reports and modules

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Go back to the original files and start again but this time do the FE first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom