Possible to Convert .DBF to .MDB ? (1 Viewer)

Jonny Quick

Local time
Today, 01:03
I'm transfering my Phone Contacts from my old phone to my new phone. The contacts exported as a .DBF file, and my new phone will only handle .MDB files.

I can import that .DBF file into Access just fine, but cannot figure out how to export (or "Save As"?) a .MDB. I've seen posts online involving "Tables" but I can barely navigate Access and no idea what 90% of all those buttons do.

Is it possible to do this? If so, how?

Thanks in advance,

Jonny

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:03
Welcome to the forum.

If you've imported the .dbf file to an Access DB, so long as you are using a Pre '07 version of Access, you should already have you .mdb file. If you are using '07 this link should help you.

Jonny Quick

Local time
Welcome to the forum.

If you've imported the .dbf file to an Access DB, so long as you are using a Pre '07 version of Access, you should already have you .mdb file. If you are using '07 this <link deleted> should help you.

Well thanks for the help! I pushed all those buttons for hours and never discoverd that big huge one in the upper right corner actually did anything. Durh...

Okay, so, I'm farther along than I was. I have the ability to save the .DBF file as an .MDB, but the cell phone software (iDEN Phonebook Manager) will not read Access's output .MDB file. So I exported the existing iDEN phones contacts (the new phone) into an .MDB file in order to make certain that Access could read it, and it could. (I wasn't sure if the .MDB file extension from the iDEN phone was a completely different format than the .MDB files that Access uses. They appear to be the same.)

EXCEPT:
When I view the new phone's output in Access, it looks very different than the old phone's converted output. It has 4 tables. The data is in one of the tables, and it looks like the other 3 tables are specifying all the various fields. Maybe the 1st table uses the other three in order to construct itself, I don't know.

Here's what it looks like:

zaccess.jpg

It seems to me that I should figure out some way to import the converted .DBF data into the existing new phone's database format. I played around with "Import" but couldn't get traction. Am I close?

What's next? (Thanks again in advance.)

jon_R

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:03
If contacts are saved in DBF format and a user wants to convert them to MDF format, I suggest to check some 3rd party tools. SysInfoTools DBF Recovery software can be used to convert a .dbf file into MDF format. It not only supports recovery of data from corrupt .dbf files but also allows users to convert recovered data either in DBF or MDF format. Try it.
Thanks.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:03
MDB files have different versions. You probably exported as A2003. Perhaps you need to go "older" to A2000 when you save as.

ebel

Local time
Today, 11:33
DBF files are the database files of dBase database application. Data from DBF files can be imported to new MDB file by extracting it and changing the format. You can learn about the solution to convert DBF files by reading the article posted below -

sysinfotools.com/blog/convert-dbf-file-to-mdb-file-format

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yep, this IS kind of late. Thanks for trying to be helpful.

You should remember from installing Access (if YOU did the installation) that there is an "optional tools" section for Access that allows you to mix and match what your system will be able to do, and converting specific old competing DB formats is in that optional section. Therefore the user in question has to have chosen during that installation to be able to import dBase files before your suggestion will work correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom