Win 8 naming groups (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Yesterday, 20:41
Win 8 naming groups of titles. I have about three hours of Googleing and trying and its not working. The help sites says to zoom out start menu (- bottom right hand corner) right click on group of files to be name > dialog box appears > type in name. Not working. :banghead: Any help would be appreciated.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 01:41
First off I never operate from the start screen, but curiosity made me look at this.
I had no trouble naming groups of tiles, is that what you meant?

From the start screen right click anywhere blank
left click the white Name Groups box
Left click in the box above the group you wish to name and type name.

My question now is what is the point, what added features, operations, control does this give?

Brian

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Win 8 naming groups of titles. I have about three hours of Googleing and trying and its not working. The help sites says to zoom out start menu (- bottom right hand corner) right click on group of files to be name > dialog box appears > type in name. Not working. :banghead: Any help would be appreciated.
In Win 8 I selected the files to rename. Then right-clicked and selected Rename. Then entered the name. It worked - in other words if I renamed as "red" the files would be renamed "red (1)", "red (2)" and "red (3)" etc.

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
First off I never operate from the start screen, but curiosity made me look at this.
I had no trouble naming groups of tiles, is that what you meant?

My question now is what is the point, what added features, operations, control does this give?

Brian
I might be misunderstanding the OP. I'm reading it as renaming a block of files. You provide a generic name and Windows renames the files with the name and a sequence number. I've used it a couple of times in the past I think maybe for generically naming pics that may have come from different cameras - not sure.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
You may be correct, Dick talks of titles and files so I was confused but assumed he meant tiles as he talked of the start menu.

Brian

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I don’t have any idea. I have been putting off buying my wife a new computer because I did not want to deal with win 8. My sister-in-law bought her one for her birthday, so I am trapped into the usual learning curve. I just took a class on 8 and that is what they said to do. At this point I don’t know any other method except the start screen.
That worked. That is not what the googled helps I found said to do. Thanks!
You may be correct, Dick talks of titles and files so I was confused but assumed he meant tiles as he talked of the start menu.
I apologize for “titles” I missed spelled tiles and my spell checker must have changed it to “titles” and I didn’t catch it on preview. I don’t remember using “files”, however.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
The damn spell checker probably corrected tiles to files but hey who cares so long as we got there.

I run Win 8.1 entirely from the desk top never visiting the start screen, I have not bothered to download classic shell as recommended on here by a number of posters on previous threads but if you are used to windows 7 it might be worthwhile.

Brian

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
The damn spell checker probably corrected tiles to files but hey who cares so long as we got there.

I run Win 8.1 entirely from the desk top never visiting the start screen, I have not bothered to download classic shell as recommended on here by a number of posters on previous threads but if you are used to windows 7 it might be worthwhile.

Brian

My back up computer just died, so I guess I will have to bite the bullet. I will use this one as my back up and buy a new one which of course will have win 8. I hate Big Bill having me by the b___s but its fruitless and time consuming to fight the system so 8 here I come.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Did you search for classicshell?

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk...?p=1347003&highlight=Classicshell#post1347003

Reread this thread, it was also mentioned by Pat Hartman in another thread I can't find, she installed it on laptops she had bought her grandkids.

Brian

I had forgotten about my post about win 8 way back then. I am deliberating if I really want to go the way of the shell just to get the feel of W7. If I am going to bite the bullet I might as well swallow it whole. However, now that thread brings up another decision. Do I want to spend the extra money for a touch screen. I think I might have trouble with a touch screen while eating jelly donuts. :D

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I bought a touch screen thinking that as I was used to the IPAD I would find it great, nope I only use it occasionally to magnify something to help my totally useless eyesight, don't bother is my advice.

Brian

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Dick/Brian,

I found this on youtube that may help. I don't use groups. In fact I just bought a new laptop(no touch screen) with windows 8.1 -- added classic shell immediately based on various forums. I came from Vista and skipped Win 7.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom