Lost Icons Desktop (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 16:28
win 8.1, Dell notebook
I have about 15 icons om my desk top that come out white (no image) when I booted. About 5 have there original images.
The icons still work, they open what they are supposed to. I shut it down, unplugged it, and took the battery out. No change.
I tried to use the change icon setting at the property desk top option and it shows the proper image in the option setting but it won't show on the desk top
I tried changing the icon and it will take it in the property sheet but doesn't change the desk top. I did a complete virus scan (2 hours) and it came out "no virus".
Any ideas?
Thanks D7A

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Just realize that I have no listing of folders in my Win explore. If I open a file either a access or a word file and "save as" all the folders are there. I am sure both problems are related.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:28
Did you accidently delete the programs behind the icons?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 21:28
Have you got a recent system restore to use?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time

Good question, good point. I have been so trouble free with this computer I have forgotten to make a recently. I will have to go check to see what the latest date I have.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time

Well my friend, it looks like I owe you a Chinese Buffet also. I found a restore point and it is all fixed. Thank You so very much.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well as long as you had not installed too many programs in the meantime, the restore option would be fine. Rebuilding the icon cache might be quicker/easier?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Well as long as you had not installed too many programs in the meantime, the restore option would be fine. Rebuilding the icon cache might be quicker/easier?

No1: doesn't that involve going into the registry? Registry scares me. No2: However my problem was that I also lost my win explorer (now called File Explorer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Not sure about the File Explorer problem, but the icon cache is just deleting/renaming the files to be rebuilt. Same thing you do if your Normal template gets corrupted in Word.

That is according to this link http://www.winability.com/how-to-erase-icon-thumbnail-cache-windows-8/

All moot now as you are up and running and the restore option also fixed the File Explore problem I expect?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Not sure about the File Explorer problem, but the icon cache is just deleting/renaming the files to be rebuilt. Same thing you do if your Normal template gets corrupted in Word.

That is according to this link http://www.winability.com/how-to-erase-icon-thumbnail-cache-windows-8/

All moot now as you are up and running and the restore option also fixed the File Explore problem I expect?

well moot for now, but this is the time to start studying for the next time. Thanks for the links! I have only had Word template only get corrupted once in many years and I forgot what I did, but I'll search the links you sent me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom