How to find a textbox that I have no idea existed (1 Viewer)

thaonguyen

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:43
Hi everyone,

So I am just modifying a free and existing database that I found to suit what I want because I am not super familiar with Access.

I have a form called frmHome with 3 buttons. First button called "Log Attendance". On Click, another form called frmClassAttendance is opened with a combo box, some textboxes that will be automatically filled based on combo box selection and a subform that runs an append qry on Click of a button.

I worked on this in another format with one more step and it worked and then I decided to simplify it. But now wheneve I click on "Log Attendance", a message comes up that says "Enter Parameter Value - Text28". And I have looked at all the forms and all the queries and I don't see Text28 anywhere. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

How do I go about this please?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 22:43
put Log Attendance in Design view.
check for controlsource Text28 or check the form's recordsource (table/query) for text28.

thaonguyen

Registered User.
Local time
Hi arnelgp, I already did. I looked under queries, criteria and I even attempted to delete the forms and started the 2 forms again but every time that "Log Attendance" button is clicked, the error pops up.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 10:43
In form properties,
At the top of the property window is a drop box that has all textboxes listed.
Select yours and it will highlight on the form.

Also check the query.

thaonguyen

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Ranman, I did that too and still couldn't find Text28 anywhere...:banghead:

thaonguyen

Registered User.
Local time
The only thing that messes this thing up is the Macro that opens the form but again, there is just one action in that Macro...

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Perhaps you could post a copy of your database.Readers don't need all the data, only a few records to "exercise" the database.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 22:43
check the query again, check if there is Parameter.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:43
If there is a module associated with this database, get into the VBA code editor and search the code for that string "Text28." Look for it to be part of a bit of dynamic SQL-string building, perhaps. When you do the search, you can set the scope to "whole project" so you don't have to repeat the search for every class module.

If it isn't a parameter, as Arnel suggested, and you can't find it anywhere else, it may be that the reference in a query only exists dynamically at run-time.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The only thing that messes this thing up is the Macro that opens the form but again, there is just one action in that Macro...
Hi. Have you checked the form the macro is trying to open and see if maybe Text28 is being referenced in there somewhere?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Check the properties on the Data tab of the form properties dialog. If you ever sorted by this control, there may be a sort left in the properties.

thaonguyen

Registered User.
Local time
Hi everyone,

Here is the database. It seems to be working for what I intended (80%). So after I click on "Show registers", an Appen query is ran where the data is saved into the table tblClassAttendance and Status is set to Present but the Tutor can change it. Because of the Text28, it doesn't show now.

I just only started so I want to develop this further. I know there are things that I complicated too much but I got myself into this by simplifying things...

Please can you take a look and let me know. I really tried everything and couldn't find Text28 anywhere.

Attachments

• Database sample.accdb
    1.1 MB · Views: 95

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi everyone,

Here is the database. It seems to be working for what I intended (80%). So after I click on "Show registers", an Appen query is ran where the data is saved into the table tblClassAttendance and Status is set to Present but the Tutor can change it. Because of the Text28, it doesn't show now.

I just only started so I want to develop this further. I know there are things that I complicated too much but I got myself into this by simplifying things...

Please can you take a look and let me know. I really tried everything and couldn't find Text28 anywhere.
Hi. Here's where it's asking/looking for Text28 in your form.

If you take them out, you should be fine.

Attachments

• text28.PNG
    text28.PNG
    36.8 KB · Views: 202

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Normally you would want to replace them with the correct master/child field names rather than simply removing them. Removing the master/child link will make the subform fail. However, your main form seems to be unbound so I agree with theDBGuy. Just remove them.

@thaonguyen,
I'm guessing that this form is one of those things that you've over complicated. From just the little I can see, it looks like the subform is not bound to the correct RecordSet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom