Renewing/Releasing IP in VISTA (1 Viewer)

kidrobot

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:57
For some reason ipconfig /renew & ipconfig /release doesn't work in Vista. Anyone know how do this to refresh my LAN connection through COMMAND PROMPT. I know you can do it through windows aided programs but they make me unplug my modem every time.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:57
I don't believe Vista has as many dos commands supported as XP so probably not.

EDIT - This appears to confirm it - clicky

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:57
Based on that web page, it looks to me like ipconfig is still supported and should work in Vista just as it always has in XP.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Based on that web page, it looks to me like ipconfig is still supported and should work in Vista just as it always has in XP.

ipconfig maybe but by my guess they may have removed the /release /renew - kidrobot you can check by typing ipconfig /? - does it appear there ?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 12:57
ipconfig maybe but by my guess they may have removed the /release /renew - kidrobot you can check by typing ipconfig /? - does it appear there ?

It appears on mine (Vista Home Premium)

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:57
Bob,
Does ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew work on your system?

kidrobot

Registered User.
Local time
It appears on mine (Vista Home Premium)

It appears but it doesn't work. I always get some warning about my wireless connection even though I'm connected through LAN and not wireless.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
I'm connected through LAN

OK lets backup a minuite you are trying to renew your IP on a LAN, is this a corporate LAN or your own ?

If it's your own network you need a DHCP server to issue a new address or you'll have to do it yourself by changing your IP to some thing that is valid on the subnet your on.

If you want to renew your routers IP address well there's no real reason to do this.

Can you give us some more info on the network your on and why you want to do this it would really help.

kidrobot

Registered User.
Local time
OK lets backup a minuite you are trying to renew your IP on a LAN, is this a corporate LAN or your own ?

If it's your own network you need a DHCP server to issue a new address or you'll have to do it yourself by changing your IP to some thing that is valid on the subnet your on.

If you want to renew your routers IP address well there's no real reason to do this.

Can you give us some more info on the network your on and why you want to do this it would really help.

Ok, my wireless router broke the other day. So me and my brother have to take a long Ethernet cord and plug it in to get internet. When he's done using the internet I'll put the Ethernet in my computer, usually with XP I could just do ipconfig /release then /renew to get the internet to work but with Vista this doesn't work. I have to actually go downstairs and walk to my router, unplug it for 10 sec, go back upstairs and use Vista's aided "network repair" function to renew my IP.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
When he's done using the internet I'll put the Ethernet in my computer, usually with XP I could just do ipconfig /release then /renew to get the internet to work but with Vista this doesn't work.

You shouldn't need to do this, have you setup your network connection again are you using the settings you had when you used your router ?

If your on ADSL you'll need to setup the connection to dialout which means each of you will need to connect each time and therefore not require you to do an IP renew.

kidrobot

Registered User.
Local time
I also didn't think I'd have to do this. Before I would be able to unplug the ethernet from one computer and put it into the other and the internet would work just fine. Now it is not the case. I haven't bought a new router because we're switching to DSL on June 6th, so hopefully my troubles end after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom