Lock the windows OS on Key Press (1 Viewer)

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 16:53
This might be a tough one, even for a windows guru out there.

Is there anyway I can do this? The primary goal here is to leave my computer running, but prevent unauthorized changes if a person were to walk by and press a key to try and use it.

I have written a 3-line batch file to lock the computer, but I can't figure out how to get windows to register a key press event.

I appreciate any help I can get on this....thanks :)

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:53
Sorry if this seems a little patronising but why are you trying to achieve ? The reason I ask is:

The primary goal here is to leave my computer running, but prevent unauthorized changes if a person were to walk by and press a key to try and use it.

I have written a 3-line batch file to lock the computer

Well if you've already locked the PC then no one can make changes (to what exactly ?) unless they know the log on password.

Also
but I can't figure out how to get windows to register a key press event.
You can but why ? If you want to lock out a PC then see above :p

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Boy, you're a smarta** Minkey. :p

Basically, I want this done because I want my computer's tasks and downloads to continue all day long when they are scheduled, without me having to be here. If the computer is locked, or asleep, or in hibernation mode, I don't think it can do this. Can it?

Take the simple task of running a program every hour, then having it shut down, automatically. Now, that can't be done if the current user has been locked out of windows! Thus, I need to keep it running, and prevent those modes such as hibernation and sleep that also pause programs....

See the point here?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 14:53
Locking the PC shouldn't keep programs from running.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 14:53
Logging out will, but just locking the computer should allow things that need to run to run. I've done that many times and I even double checked to see if a form's timer event would kick off while I was locked and it did just fine.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
OK, thanks. I'll test it. Will let you know if it works the same for me.

Local time
You shouldn't even need to be logged in to run a program, as long as Windows is running. You just need to supply a valid user id and password for the account that will be automatically running the scheduled task in question.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Hey Minkey,

With your second post, you were suggesting that this is possible. Can you give me a hint on this? I would still like to do it (although the problem has been fixed without it).... :)

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:53
Can you give me a hint on this? I would still like to do it (although the problem has been fixed without it).... :)

Off the top of my head you could use VB and design a program to log key presses or maybe download a sample a VB programmer would be in a better position to offer a specific way to do this (sorry not a coder) though be warned they wouldn't give this information easily as it could be used by anyone not for it's intended purpose or even easier you could download a key logger program but be warned there are many out there designed for nefarious purposes rather than legit reasons.

I wouldn't of course post any links or send anyone this information - not that I know of any of course - so don't ask :p

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
I wouldn't of course post any links or send anyone this information - not that I know of any of course - so don't ask :p
Yeah right...don't worry I won't.

Most of it, if not all of it, is probably illegitimate anyway.

voidcranium

Registered Something.
Local time
I have a book at home that tells how to do a lot of what you are asking.
WindowsXP Tips and Tricks.
That is a must have if you want to know stuff like this.

I think I remember reading a chapter about configuring keys for certain task like you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom