Circular reference when using filed name in IIF query (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 20:55
Hi. But if you have the following:
Code:
SELECT ID, TableName.ID AS ID

FROM TableName
I am saying the second ID column will be empty.

I just got an error saying unresolved/duplicate reference or something along those lines?
So now each ID field has it's own prefix as it should have had in the first place.:eek:

Danick

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:55
Okay, let's see if this works (based on Gasman's suggestion)

Well this seems to be working. Had to fix a couple of names that somehow got lost in the translation... Going to test it a bit to make sure before implementing. Thanks for the help!!

This is what seems to have solved the problem

Code:
Mobile: IIf(IsNull(tblContacts.[Mobile]),tblContacts.[PersonalCellular],tblContacts.[Mobile])

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Do try Bob's version as well please.?

The code I posted should work (I hope).:)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:55
I just got an error saying unresolved/duplicate reference or something along those lines?
So now each ID field has it's own prefix as it should have had in the first place.:eek:
That's interesting. I didn't get any errors.

Attachments

• query.PNG
    query.PNG
    2.8 KB · Views: 210
  • result.PNG
    result.PNG
    4.4 KB · Views: 214

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Well this seems to be working. Had to fix a couple of names that somehow got lost in the translation... Going to test it a bit to make sure before implementing. Thanks for the help!!

This is what seems to have solved the problem

Code:
Mobile: IIf(IsNull(tblContacts.[Mobile]),tblContacts.[PersonalCellular],tblContacts.[Mobile])
Hi. Glad to hear it worked for you. We all learned something. Good luck with your project.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Do try Bob's version as well please.?

The code I posted should work (I hope).:)
Yes, it should work too, but I didn't see the need for it because the OP is not displaying the same column twice.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
That's interesting. I didn't get any errors.

Oops, I was talking about fieldnames in both tables being called ID, not using an alias.
Also I see what you mean about the second field being empty.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Can you post a copy of the db with the table and your query.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
the table name is called tblContacts

Here is the full sql for that query. This is working fine when I changed the name to "Mobil" Just can't get it work as "Mobile" since it's the same name as in the table.

Code:
SELECT tblCompany.CompanyName AS Company, tblContacts.ContactName AS [Contact Name], tblContacts.Title AS [Contact Title], tblCompany.CompanyModel AS [Program Supported], tblContacts.[Contact Level], tblCompany.CompanyCountry AS Country, IIf([TelNoExt] Is Null,[TelNo],[TelNo] & "  x " & [TelNoExt]) AS [Office Telephone], IIf(IsNull([Mobile]),[PersonalCellular],[Mobile]) AS Mobil, tblContacts.FaxNo AS [Fax Number], tblContacts.email AS Email, IIf([Contact Level]="Executive Level","1",IIf([Contact Level]="Management Level","2",IIf([Contact Level]="Working Level","3",Null))) AS Sort, IIf([Contact Title] Like "*Owner*",7,IIf([Contact Title] Like "*CEO*",7,IIf([Contact Title] Like "President*",7,IIf([Contact Level]="Executive Level","6",IIf([Contact Level]="Management Level","5",IIf([Contact Level]="Working Level","4",3)))))) AS SortOrg, tblCompany.ICAO AS Code, tblCompany.RSO, tblContacts.DateUpdated AS [Rev Date], Null AS [Escalation Level]
FROM tblCompany LEFT JOIN tblContacts ON tblCompany.CompanyID = tblContacts.CompanyID
WHERE (((tblContacts.Flag)=Yes) AND ((tblCompany.CompanyActive)=Yes))
ORDER BY tblCompany.CompanyName, tblContacts.ContactName;

I know it's quite long, but I wan't sure how to separate just the part that I'm having problems with.
Try the following SQL for your query:
Code:
SELECT tblCompany.Mobile AS M, tblCompany.PersonalCellular AS PC tblCompany.CompanyName AS Company, tblContacts.ContactName AS [Contact Name], tblContacts.Title AS [Contact Title], tblCompany.CompanyModel AS [Program Supported], tblContacts.[Contact Level], tblCompany.CompanyCountry AS Country, IIf([TelNoExt] Is Null,[TelNo],[TelNo] & "  x " & [TelNoExt]) AS [Office Telephone], IIf([M]Is Null,[PC],[M]) AS Mobil, tblContacts.FaxNo AS [Fax Number], tblContacts.email AS Email, IIf([Contact Level]="Executive Level","1",IIf([Contact Level]="Management Level","2",IIf([Contact Level]="Working Level","3",Null))) AS Sort, IIf([Contact Title] Like "*Owner*",7,IIf([Contact Title] Like "*CEO*",7,IIf([Contact Title] Like "President*",7,IIf([Contact Level]="Executive Level","6",IIf([Contact Level]="Management Level","5",IIf([Contact Level]="Working Level","4",3)))))) AS SortOrg, tblCompany.ICAO AS Code, tblCompany.RSO, tblContacts.DateUpdated AS [Rev Date], Null AS [Escalation Level]
FROM tblCompany LEFT JOIN tblContacts ON tblCompany.CompanyID = tblContacts.CompanyID
WHERE (((tblContacts.Flag)=Yes) AND ((tblCompany.CompanyActive)=Yes))
ORDER BY tblCompany.CompanyName, tblContacts.ContactName;

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
In your WHERE clause, what are the datatypes of those two fields?
If Boolean, I would use True instead of Yes. If text, the criteria should be "Yes"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom