Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Old 12-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
NearImpossible
Newly Registered User

NearImpossible is on a distinguished road
View in Windows vs Tabs

Is it possible to view a form, query, report, etc. in a separate window vs a tab while working on it?

The reason i'm asking is I would like to be able to see the columns of one table while building my query in a separate window.

NearImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
theDBguy
Im here to help

Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,638 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: View in Windows vs Tabs

Hi. Have you tried going to File > Options > Current Database > Document Window Options > Overlapping Windows?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
NearImpossible
Newly Registered User

NearImpossible is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDBguy View Post
Hi. Have you tried going to File > Options > Current Database > Document Window Options > Overlapping Windows?
That does work, however it also affects the layout of the database while in use, is there anyway to have it act like that only while in design mode so I could have each open in its own window, but if I change it to Form View, its the normal tabs/pop-ups as specified by the forms??

NearImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
theDBguy
Im here to help

Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,638 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearImpossible View Post
That does work, however it also affects the layout of the database while in use, is there anyway to have it act like that only while in design mode so I could have each open in its own window, but if I change it to Form View, its the normal tabs/pop-ups as specified by the forms??
Depends on what you mean. You can switch it back and forth or just maximize the form when you try it out.

|
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #5
vba_php
Banned

vba_php is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
it also affects the layout of the database while in use
it affects the layout of the database? I don't think that's what you mean. guy told you to switch it to overlapping windows. if you did indeed do that, working on objects doesn't moving anything else in the database window
Quote:
is there anyway to have it act like that only while in design mode so I could have each open in its own window, but if I change it to Form View, its the normal tabs/pop-ups as specified by the forms??
NO.
vba_php is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #6
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about

If you're using Tab view for forms and want to make a particular form not open in tab view, set it's popup property to yes. Same thing for reports. I don't think there is any such option for queries, which you probably shouldn't be allowing users to interact with anyway.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:36 PM   #7
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,623 Times in 1,541 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all

It is not possible to switch between tab and window view on the fly. You have to change the setting and then close and open the database.

If MS had made the switch dynamic, I might use tab view for the users but for development, it is too cumbersome. I always want to be able to look at multiple queries or tables or forms as I am testing.

Personally, I don't like tab view so I never use it. I think having multiple forms open confuses users so with rare exceptions, I don't allow it. If formA opens formB, it hides itelf and then when formB closes, it opens formA. In the rare cases where I do want both forms visible, the second form is opened as a dialog so although you can see the original form, you can't interact with it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: