Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Queries

Old 11-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #1
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,331 Times in 3,005 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold
Access error -query is corrupt

For info. New article from MS released today

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...3-f21636caedec

Here's an example

Only a month to wait for the fix - 10 Dec 2019. Sigh!
But of course sooner for those running 365! 24 Nov.

Reminds me of the Access 2003 SP3 error and later hotfix
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (14.7 KB, 1240 views)

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Website links:

Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam (Terry Jones - RIP)

Last edited by isladogs; 12-05-2019 at 03:01 PM.
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
bob fitz (11-13-2019), dominic.white@cse-lt (11-27-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
theDBguy
Im here to help

Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,638 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Access error -query is corrupt

I actually saw this happen to someone's database yesterday. Thanks!

|
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Just done some further testing.
If done using code, the same sql fails with same error - 3340.
That's a bigger issue at least for me

The suggested workround is to create a query based on the table then run an update query based on that.
It also seems to work fine if you just join another table or query to the one you want to update or even just use a cartesian join with something unrelated.

The update that caused this cockup was released on 12 Nov to 'fix a security vulnerability'. This link describes the patch https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...vember-12-2019.
As its unclear how serious a vulnerability was patched, it MAY be better to block the update if you don't have it. Or if you do, you can uninstall it! Its KB4484127 for A2010. I've just done so and the error has gone

The MS article makes no mention of updating A2007 or earlier. Is that because they aren't affected or just because they are past end of support period?
If the latter I may be forced to move away from A2010 in the near future as its approaching end of support also.

Website links:

Last edited by Galaxiom; 11-13-2019 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Corrected typo on KB number
Cliff67 (11-22-2019), dominic.white@cse-lt (11-27-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #4
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,148 Times in 4,079 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

Geez, where were you when I needed you?

I got hit by 4 different users of 4 different apps first thing this morning with this error, then others all day. The good news was that indicated pretty early that it was a broken update, not a code problem. I've been fixing computers all day, either rolling back updates (at the time we weren't sure which update it was) or switching runtime versions. In retrospect switching versions shouldn't have solved the problem since it affects all versions, but something in the uninstall must have unwound that update. I was in too much of a hurry trying to get screaming users running to do diagnostics, and my search early this morning didn't turn up the MS article.

It's gotten quiet now, which is a good thing.

pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #5
shadow9449
Newly Registered User

shadow9449 will become famous soon enough shadow9449 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
The MS article makes no mention of updating A2007 or earlier. Is that because they aren't affected or just because they are past end of support period?
If the latter I may be forced to move away from A2010 in the near future as its approaching end of support also.
I use Access 2003 (still) and a query in my application that updates a table has been working flawlessly on my computer (Win 7 and Win 10) but failing on the computers of 7 clients today who have been using the same application on Access 2010 runtime.
shadow9449 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #6
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
As I understand it 2007 wasn't affected, some are switching to the 2007 runtime.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:11 PM   #7
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,451 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Our admin had a look at the updates and said he couldn't see it affecting Runtime 2010 which most of our staff use.

Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:28 PM   #8
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

The example I made in post #1 was done in A2010 before I uninstalled the Office update

Website links:

Old 11-15-2019, 04:09 AM   #9
smig
Newly Registered User

smig is on a distinguished road

How do I install this update ?

I see no Office updates, only as Office was installed today (No.15th)

:Crying:
smig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:10 AM   #10
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Assume you mean how do I uninstall this update?

It will have been installed when you installed Office if you ticked the option to check for updates

Go to Wndows Update ...View Update History then view the office updates it lists

The update to remove will depend on which version Of Office you are using.
I believe the ones you need to remove are
Office 2010 KB4484127 (also Office 2007?)
Office 2013 KB4484119
Office 2016 KB4484113

If you are running Office 365, see this article

UPDATE
1. Also see this article by Luke Chung:
http://fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/Er...rupt/index.htm

2. Another workround that David Marten suggested at UA
Instead of running something like:
Code:
UPDATE Table1 SET Table1.Grade = "X" WHERE (((Table1.ID)=3));
change it to:
Code:
UPDATE (SELECT * FROM Table1) SET Table1.Grade = "X" WHERE (((Table1.ID)=3));
This creates a table alias '%$##@_Alias' and the query runs without error!

Website links:

Last edited by isladogs; 11-15-2019 at 05:31 AM.
dominic.white@cse-lt (11-27-2019), NauticalGent (11-19-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 06:54 AM   #11
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Further update:
I have now successfully removed the flawed update from Office 365

My Office 365 version was 16.0.12307.20000 which included this Access bug

According to the MSDN forum, it should be possible to roll back to a previous Office 365 version by running this command from Start...Run:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.12130.20272
However when I tried this I repeatedly got an error 'Something went wrong' with error code 30029-27.

After further checks, I found my previous version was in fact 16.0.12231.20000. So I modified the above code accordingly:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.12231.20000
That worked! It took about 10 minutes to complete but the version number was successfully rolled back. Update queries now work again

IMPORTANT:
Remember to switch off automatic updates afterwards ... at least till the fix is released.

Website links:

Old 11-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #12
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Another good link:

https://accessexperts.com/blog/2019/...ry-is-corrupt/

Last edited by pbaldy; 11-15-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #13
theDBguy
Im here to help

Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,638 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
Hi Paul. That link seems to be broken. I took out the two stars at the end, and it worked.

|
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #14
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Fixed it, thanks. Fat fingers I guess.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:53 AM   #15
smig
Newly Registered User

smig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Assume you mean how do I uninstall this update?

It will have been installed when you installed Office if you ticked the option to check for updates

Go to Wndows Update ...View Update History then view the office updates it lists

The update to remove will depend on which version Of Office you are using.
I believe the ones you need to remove are
Office 2010 KB4484127 (also Office 2007?)
Office 2013 KB4484119
Office 2016 KB4484113

If you are running Office 365, see this article

UPDATE
1. Also see this article by Luke Chung:
http://fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAccess/Er...rupt/index.htm

2. Another workround that David Marten suggested at UA
Instead of running something like:
Code:
UPDATE Table1 SET Table1.Grade = "X" WHERE (((Table1.ID)=3));
change it to:
Code:
UPDATE (SELECT * FROM Table1) SET Table1.Grade = "X" WHERE (((Table1.ID)=3));
This creates a table alias '%$##@_Alias' and the query runs without error!
I'm using Win7, Office 2016

If I look at the System updates I see no updates since Sept. (Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Update -> Show Updates history)
If I look at App. updates I see no updates for Office. It only show me as Office was installed Yesterday, Nov.15th (Control Panel -> Application -> Show Installed Updates)

If I go with the second solution of Changing Update Table1 Set... to Update (Select * From Table1) Set...
Do I need to do it also for Joined queries? Will it work if I do?
I have 70+ queries to update, but I think it might be simpler then trying to resolve the "Update issue" on the End Users machines.

smig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access error , corruption , query

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: