Exporting reports to Excel - DLL function not found (1 Viewer)

HGCanada

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:08
Can anyone tell me why a user would get a "DLL function not found" error, when attempting to export an Access report to Excel? I had no issue exporting this report on my own computer, but another user was not able to on theirs.

The DLL error message was preceded by an error message about section width being wider than page width, and some pages may be blank. I am not sure if that's related. I was able to export with no issues.

Thanks in advance.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 05:08
One problem using a report is that Access may format the output for a printer regardless, even though output is never actually printed. A problem may arise if the user's default printer--maybe it's a label printer--can't format the report as designed without raising errors.

This is where I'd start looking with this problem, that there is a print failure with the report, and this kills the export of the report's data to Excel.

hth
Mark

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:08
You should understand that references are kept in the registry, which is unique to each machine (and has parts that are unique to each USER of a machine.) It is therefore quite simple to be missing a reference on the failing user's machine and yet have it work just dandy on your own machine.

As MarkK points out, reports are formatted based on the currently selected printer. Internally, I suspect there might be a reference to something available from an Excel library that computes the printing width of a line of text in a given font face/font size combination. But if you have no associated printer, there is NO WAY to compute that because it needs to know something about the printer. Never mind that you could be exporting this dog to something else electronic - Access still wants to compute the size and cannot compute the scaling factors if it has no printer.

So two places to look. (1) No printer defined for unlucky user. (2) Unlucky user has a broken reference to Excel.

HGCanada

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you both. I vaguely get it - printer issues. I'm not very tech-savvy, but I think I will ask the user to perhaps go to the printer settings, and select a PDF writer or something of the sort, and see if that helps. I don't know if they can de-select all printers. I'll see how far we can get.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:08
Even in a tightly-secured shop, printer selection is not usually blocked unless the printer is used only for special forms.

HGCanada

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you. I have asked the user to try that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom