When to eat your cake - heard of intermittent fasting? (1 Viewer)

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 02:05
Keeping with the spirit of the site (something sound) and this forum (something not pertaining to Access), lets take Mens Sana in Corpore Sano to a new level, especially the last bit.

I've discovered intermittent fasting. Have been following it in the 16/8 version (fast 16 hours, feed 8 hours) for the last 2½ months and waved goodbye to 5 kg.

No calorie-counting, ate quite like before, apart from the times... I do 1 hour of gym every day, like before, but now in the fasted state just prior to the first meal of the day after midday, and that works for me.

Google intermittent fasting - there is hardly anything negative about it, and the 16/8 is easy to follow (for me). The 5/2 version (5 normal days and 2 days of fast) is a bit much (for me), but apparently even more effective.

Have fun :)

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 01:05
Americans dieting? Best transfer this to the joke thread.

Col

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
You really are just a contrarian twat

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Yesterday, 17:05
Americans dieting? Best transfer this to the joke thread.

Col

Hey Col - if I might ask you a few questions - I'd really like to know what the health profile of a perfect physical specimen is.
So, what's your cardiovascular picture? How about your BMI? Resting heart rate? Blood pressure? Cholesterol - HDL and LDL? Blood sugar level?
How many minutes of aerobic and anaerobic exercise do you do, on a weekly basis, would you estimate?

I'm really curious about it - I'd like to know just how healthy I would have to be in order to make disparaging remarks about the fitness of the population of a country of >300 million people. Because if I weren't perfect myself, you see, I'd be opening myself up to remarks about my own fitness.

Not that I would ever do such an obnoxious thing.

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Why do Americans overreact to Col, either just ignore him or join in the banter.
Way back when I was working on a trip to America an American said to me during a social discussion, "we seem to either live in the gym of Macdonald's" , why can't the Americans on here be a bit more laid back.
Libre : where did Col say he was fit and healthy? If I remember correctly he smokes and it wasn't so long ago that he had a heart problem, does that stop him making health and fitness comments?

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Does it have to be 16/8? I seem to have followed a 14/10 regime for most of my life, just thought that was normal, or is the real issue skipping a meal?

I know a chap who had great success following the 5/2 day system.

Brian

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Idiocy requires the occasional kick in the teeth. Otherwise the idiots occupy space and roam entirely scott-free.

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Why do Americans overreact to Col, either just ignore him or join in the banter.
When you ignore a child's bad behavior, you are implicitly reinforcing it.
It's not an "overreaction" to call someone on their bigoted statements on a public forum.

Libre : where did Col say he was fit and healthy? If I remember correctly he smokes and it wasn't so long ago that he had a heart problem, does that stop him making health and fitness comments?

It ought to.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
@Libre: Quite. Forgot we are not dealing with a grown-up.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Way back when I was working on a trip to America an American said to me during a social discussion, "we seem to either live in the gym of Macdonald's" , why can't the Americans on here be a bit more laid back.

Brian

First insult them, then tell them to calm down... You really have to love UK logic.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
You lot really crack me up. Over sensitive doesn't really describe it, it's just too predictable, I really shouldn't do it.

What in the UK is basically a throwaway comment suddenly turns into an international incident.
It's commonly accepted in the UK (wrongly I may add) that most (not all by any means) Americans are clinically obese, eat huge portions and spend hours in McDonald's eating.

Anyway, the thought of massive Americans dieting just struck me as funny. Cutting down to eight meals a day, a 16oz steak instead of a 32oz, just a bucket of fries instead of a barrel washed down by a pint or two of Coke.

Col

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Some of us are Americans. In what code of etiquette is it acceptable to disparage present company - and not once but constantly? A good natured, friendly jab is one thing.
But I understand it now - this wasn't like most of Col's other obnoxious and disrespectful remarks, this one was a "throwaway". Got it, and thanks. Now I'll know what to do with his posts in the future.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
These people are relics from the past. They don't have a clue, museum pieces really.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
I think Cols comment was just in jest. A wind up, not to be taken too seriously. Maybe its not funny at all.

But really does such an issue have to be made of it. If you don't like it, take it on the chin and move on.

The only decision is which chin?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
LOL, you realise that you will now be in trouble with our American cousins, the problem was that there was no canned laughter to indicate that it was a joke.

I would point out that Col does poke fun at other people not just the yanks, but we don't get all uptight about it, and yes he does go OTT at times., but look at posts 8 and 10 on this thread.

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=280578&highlight=Whippets

Just keep it light and get a sense of the rediculous if you cannot manage a sense of humour.

Brian

Libre

been around a little
Local time
It's all a matter of perspective. From my POV - I'm not overreacting, I have not been damaged in any way shape or form, and all I did is reply to a comment on an internet forum. Nobody on this end is so oversensitive or is taking Col's comments seriously. That would be YOU people who are overreacting, not I.

spickpl started a thread about intermittent fasting. He was trying to engage others in the discussion. He was looking to get a dialogue going, about a meal plan he is trying. Naturally, and predictably, Col took that opportunity to disparage Americans. Now, you may say, it was all in humor. My answer - who gives a crap?

So I reply to Col's comment. Do I rant and rave? Do I weep and moan?
I simply said that maybe Col should shut up about the fitness of Americans, unless he's Mr Universe himself. That is all.

Then, we have an outpouring of support and defense for poor old, misunderstood Col. Dear, sweet old Col. Why, he was just kidding around. Why would anybody take offense at poor old Col? It is those that object to his bigoted, narrow minded and completely worthless comments that should get their acts together - not Col. Why make a big deal out of it?

Let me be clear - I could give a rat's ass about Col's opinions, whether he was just joking or he wasn't. The most upsetting thing he could do would be to say something of value. Now THAT would really be a shock.

Last edited:

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
It's all a matter of perspective. From my POV - I'm not overreacting, I have not been damaged in any way shape or form, and all I did is reply to a comment on an internet forum. Nobody on this end is so oversensitive or is taking Col's comments seriously. That would be YOU people who are overreacting, not I.

spickpl started a thread about intermittent fasting. He was trying to engage others in the discussion. He was looking to get a dialogue going, about a meal plan he is trying. Naturally, and predictably, Col took that opportunity to disparage Americans. Now, you may say, it was all in humor. My answer - who gives a crap?

So I reply to Col's comment. Do I rant and rave? Do I weep and moan?
I simply said that maybe Col should shut up about the fitness of Americans, unless he's Mr Universe himself. That is all.

Then, we have an outpouring of support and defense for poor old, misunderstood Col. Dear, sweet old Col. Why, he was just kidding around. Why would anybody take offense at poor old Col? It is those that object to his bigoted, narrow minded and completely worthless comments that should get their acts together - not Col. Why make a big deal out of it?

Let me be clear - I could give a rat's ass about Col's opinions, whether he was just joking or he wasn't. The most upsetting thing he could do would be to say something of value. Now THAT would really be a shock.

If this isn't over reacting , I'd hate to see you do so!

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I'm sorry Libre but that is a load of rubbish, which is quite astonishing coming from somebody whose posts are usually intelligent.

BTW did you notice that I am the only person who bothered to enter the original discussion, the rest of you were to busy crying, and no you don't have to be super fit and healthy to comment on such issues, not that a mr universe is necessarily either.

Brian

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Yesterday, 20:05
Brian, I doubt you'd feel the same were there a poster here who literally slammed Brits with every single fucking post.

Sooner or later you get sick of that shit, throw-away or not.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Thinking about it I didn't actually support Col so much as criticise those that over reacted to him, Anthony did likewise later.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom