Hooked on GoT (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 08:36
So...you say you feel a little on the cheated side then...?

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:36
It was an anticlimax when the Army of the Dead evaporated.

I would have expected the Night King to be a little less cavalier about his own safety. A least a couple of Night Knights as body guards wherever he went rather than wandering around by himself.

In fact the Wights probably should have had a bit more regard for his safety. Did they not realise their own existence depended on him?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Personally I felt Cheated... :mad:
Bran had the (mystical) ability to "see" all. Yet, from what I could tell his capability was never used to help direct the battle!!!

A major blunder by the writers. Bran's ability to "see" was instrumental in exposing Lord Baelish and Jon Snow's heritage. This ability would have been very useful in the battle. I kept waiting for Bran to become involved in winning the battle, but that never happened.

Last edited:

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Bran had the (mystical) ability to "see" all. Yet, from what I could tell his capability was never used to help direct the battle!!!

I think he could only reliably see all from the past.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The really bizarre thing was whey so many went outside the fortifications rather than waiting inside where they could have defended every possible entry with a whole lineup of fighters.

Why get people involved at all when the dragons were so effective?

Any why the hell did the Dothraki ride off into the dark?

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 13:36
The really bizarre thing was whey so many went outside the fortifications rather than waiting inside where they could have defended every possible entry with a whole lineup of fighters.

Bad Script Writing that's why...

The remaining episodes now for me will just be meh... :( :( :(

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I think he could only reliably see all from the past.
Revised Response (5/3/2019): I've been casually re-watching the series. The other night I ran across Season 3, Episode2 where Jojen and Bran share their "warg" experiences which allows them to see anything currently happening.

Bad Script Writing that's why...
Second that.

Surprisingly, one reviewer commented on the Dothraki riding off into the dark. He or she liked the "artistry" of them doing that with flaming swords.:eek: Unbelievable.

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Emphatically agree with the bad tactics. I have to ask though, why was it that the “men of color” got all the bad assignments? The Dothraki were sent to certain death needlessly and then the Unsullied left outside the walls to guard the retreat...

scott-atkinson

Local time
Emphatically agree with the bad tactics. I have to ask though, why was it that the “men of color” got all the bad assignments? The Dothraki were sent to certain death needlessly and then the Unsullied left outside the walls to guard the retreat...

The Dolthraki were basically Feral, they live for the battle, them charging into the enemy as soon as possible was inevitable, but they could have been possitioned better on the Battlefield to make the most of this Feral nature..

The Unsullied, are the Drilled units of the Battlefield, Highly Trained and Disciplined, they would have been in Shieldwall formation holding back the Horde of Undead for as long as possible...

IMO, the Battlefield should have been staged like this...

Trenches should have been deeper and further out from the Castle walls, and an option of arrays for them to be ignited, perhaps with Oil soaked Wooden Spikes that would ignite under a flamed arrow or Dragin Breath..

Unsullied Positioned behind Trenches as next line of defence, positioned in Shieldwall, they could easily keep the advance on hold until the Trenches become overrun...

The Trebuchet's should have been positioned behind the unsullied and should have been kept firing to disrupt the enemy formations.

The Dolthraki positioned out of site on the Flanks..

The advantage of the above being that the Unsullied keep them occupied, whilst the better positioned Dolthraki charged in from both Flanks to break up the enemy...

The Outcome for the Dolthraki would probably have been the same but they would have disrupted the enemies assault enough for the Unsullied to push them back..

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Trenches should have been deeper and further out from the Castle walls, and an option of arrays for them to be ignited, perhaps with Oil soaked Wooden Spikes that would ignite under a flamed arrow or Dragin Breath.
The use of fire, by the defenders, should have received greater emphasis. It is difficult to de-animate the undead with pointy weapons. Dragonstone (obsidian) helped, but did not appear to be that effective. Moreover, you need to minimize the potential of your own troops being killed and then re-animated as the enemy.

Anyway, in one of the earlier episodes, wildfire was used. Placing canisters of wildfire on the trebuchets would have been a superior tactic.

However, there is problem with my suggestion. Winterfell and Kings Landing are far apart. Also Cersei would have frustrated the delivery of the wildfire canisters. But at least that discussion could have been made at the strategy session. There may have been an alternative means of developing wildfire canisters.

Last edited:

scott-atkinson

Local time
The use of fire, by the defenders, should have received greater emphasis. It is difficult to de-animate the undead with pointy weapons. Dragonstone (obsidian) helped, but did not appear to be that effective. Moreover, you need to minimize the potential of your own troops being killed and then re-animated as the enemy.

Anyway, in one of the earlier episodes, wildfire was used. Placing canisters of wildfire on the trebuchets would have been a superior tactic.

However, there is problem with my suggestion. Winterfell and Kings Landing are far apart. Also Cersei would have frustrated the delivery of the wildfire canisters. But at least that discussion could have been made at the strategy session. There may have been an alternative means of developing wildfire canisters.

Even without Fire, if the Trenches had been dug deep and wide enough the enemy would have been held back from an onslaught assault the Unsullied could have contained the Overspill from the Trenches until such a point that the trenches became saturated with bodies that they became ineffective. Then is the time to send in the Dolthraki on the Flanks to disrupt the supply of bodies to the Trenches...

scott-atkinson

Local time
Basically any strategy other than that which was employed would have faired better..

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I just heard on BBC radio 4, due to GoT, sales of big dogs have increased, but there has been no effect on sales of dragons....

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:36
Big dogs are easy enough to find. Dragons, however, are so few in number that they count as an endangered species. Odds are that sale to an individual would be illegal.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I heard that Dragons are an endangered species because they frequently catch fire like a Tesla!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
The Dolthraki were basically Feral, they live for the battle, them charging into the enemy as soon as possible was inevitable, but they could have been possitioned better on the Battlefield to make the most of this Feral nature..

The Unsullied, are the Drilled units of the Battlefield, Highly Trained and Disciplined, they would have been in Shieldwall formation holding back the Horde of Undead for as long as possible...

IMO, the Battlefield should have been staged like this...

Trenches should have been deeper and further out from the Castle walls, and an option of arrays for them to be ignited, perhaps with Oil soaked Wooden Spikes that would ignite under a flamed arrow or Dragin Breath..

Unsullied Positioned behind Trenches as next line of defence, positioned in Shieldwall, they could easily keep the advance on hold until the Trenches become overrun...

The Trebuchet's should have been positioned behind the unsullied and should have been kept firing to disrupt the enemy formations.

The Dolthraki positioned out of site on the Flanks..

The advantage of the above being that the Unsullied keep them occupied, whilst the better positioned Dolthraki charged in from both Flanks to break up the enemy...

The Outcome for the Dolthraki would probably have been the same but they would have disrupted the enemies assault enough for the Unsullied to push them back..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA5mJRFaI8c

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Daenerys may soon be in for a meltdown. She has now lost two of her "children" (dragons). Additionally she has lost two of her most trusted advisors: Missandei and Jorah. To top-it-off, she has found out that Jon Snow (who she loves) is really Aegon Targaryen who would have a superior claim to the Iron Throne.

Considering her extreme ambition to take the Iron Throne, these events may have a devastating emotional effect.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:36
I am reminded of the short Ogden Nash poem about romance, modified by some wag with a third line that seems appropriate for lovers in this situation:

Candy is dandy
but liquor is quicker
and incest is best.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Yeah, I really don't see Cersei keeping the throne, but I think it's even odds on whether or not Dany will still be standing when the dust settles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom