Shootings in US schools (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:11
Since it is obvious that we have briefly diverged...

The problem with the song "Brick House" is that I can never again hear that song in a "pure" context. I have seen a movie called To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar starring Patrick Swayze, John Leguizamo, and Wesley Snipes as three blatant gay cross-dressers going to a Pride event in San Francisco, I believe. There is a scene where that music is playing as they drive cross-country to that event with the top down in their land-barge of a car and are bopping along in full drag as they follow a road that parallels a train track. It's one of the scenes that can't be unseen.

Got the same problem with Sister Sledge's "We Are Family" during the senator's escape scene in The Bird Cage (Robin Williams and Nathan Lane).

Got the same problem with Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" thanks to the jail scene with dancing football players in the movie The Replacements with Keanu Reaves and Gene Hackman.

Great music, but sudden odd-ball associations have made it difficult to enjoy without having sudden bizarre movie scenes flash through my mind.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:11
I wonder why the left felt the need to pull their own fantasy about killing the right.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    68.2 KB · Views: 527

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 23:11
I suppose Mr Trump must like some foreigners- isn't his wife an immigrant?

Col

I saw Mrs Trump on telly the other day. Gosh, she really looked miserable, she never smiles, never speaks.
I reckon she must be the most patient person alive, she's been playing the widow-in-waiting too long to give up now.
Imagine how happy she will be when Trump snuffs it. I bet she prays for an assassination every night.

Actually I heard that Americans pray before every meal - imagine praying 12 times a day.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I didn’t want to laugh, but that was funny!

That one courtesy of Stuart Francis, a Canadian comedian on a TV programme called 'Live at the Apollo' (theatre).

I've worked out why foreigner Mrs Trump doesn't speak, English is not her first language. Mind you, she should be at home in the USA, there's 300 million others in the same boat.

Col

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
That one courtesy of Stuart Francis, a Canadian comedian on a TV programme called 'Live at the Apollo' (theatre).

I've worked out why foreigner Mrs Trump doesn't speak, English is not her first language. Mind you, she should be at home in the USA, there's 300 million others in the same boat.

Col

True, they mostly speak "American". Seems that once you get rid of an overbearing and unresponsive government you get to decide what language you speak. Seems to have come into fashion after the Americans got rid of their unresponsive and out of touch overlords as most other colonies decided (eventually) to do the same.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
True, they mostly speak "American". Seems that once you get rid of an overbearing and unresponsive government you get to decide what language you speak. Seems to have come into fashion after the Americans got rid of their unresponsive and out of touch overlords as most other colonies decided (eventually) to do the same.

Hmmm yes, but it's a shame they had to change the name of things because without a descriptor Americans would be totally confused. For example,

They changed 'pavement' to 'sidewalk' presumably because too many people were killed by being run over and not understandings you had to walk on the side for safety.
They changed 'horse riding' to 'horseback riding' to indicate where you had to sit on the horse.
They changed a simple word 'tap' to 'faucet' just to confuse people.

I could give you many examples that confuse people, one is how a candidate who has the least votes in an election actually wins and becomes president.

Col

Mark_

Local time
I could give you many examples that confuse people, one is how a candidate who has the least votes in an election actually wins and becomes president.

Col

Odd, I figured you'd at least learn how the Prime Minister is selected for the U.K. and how they would seldom be the most "Popular", but rather represent less than half the population (at best) but convince some smaller groups to give them backing...

You may want to learn a bit about how leaders in countries are actually chosen, you'd be rather surprised at how little your vote often counts for. At least in America they get to try and choose a leader, not hope a good one is born into the position or is selected based on which parties have how many seats.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
As I was leaving the store a few days ago. I met a man originally from England. Somehow we started talking about how the 'American' version of English could be quite different from the 'English' version of English. He stated a sentance in English and I had no idea what he was talking about (he translated for me).

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Odd, I figured you'd at least learn how the Prime Minister is selected for the U.K. and how they would seldom be the most "Popular", but rather represent less than half the population (at best) but convince some smaller groups to give them backing...

You may want to learn a bit about how leaders in countries are actually chosen, you'd be rather surprised at how little your vote often counts for. At least in America they get to try and choose a leader, not hope a good one is born into the position or is selected based on which parties have how many seats.

I have no idea where you live as you seem to be ashamed to add it in your profile, instead some rubbish about seeing a road or something.

Anyway, I suggest that you read up on the British way of voting for parliament. We don't vote in Prime Ministers like the Yanks vote in presidents. If we did, I'm sure we would appoint the one with the most votes from the populace unlike the USA.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Col, I agree that our language differences can be quite confusing. One of our more vocal comedians, George Carlin, often pointed out some verbal oddities in the USA. One of his better ones (at least, that appealed to me the best) was:

We park in a driveway but drive in a parkway.

Your comment about changing "horse riding" to "horse-back riding" is easy to explain. It helps us to more quickly locate and identify the horse's ass.

But I'll give you a more directed answer. Our language here in the former colonies is a polyglot in its origins. We have contributions from Latin, Old German, Old English, French, and Spanish as major components of English. Not to mention Irish, Portuguese, Native American, many African nations, and even Chinese.

Therefore, "tap" is the word you use, but we call it a "faucet" because that is a French word even though both have the same meaning in their history - to bore a hole in something and control how/when something comes out of the hole. Other than the language they came through, they have the same logical etymology.

One of our favorite foods here in south Louisiana is gumbo, which is made from various local meat sources such as crabs & shrimp, or pork sausage if you prefer that style. The recipe for gumbo includes the vegetable "okra" - for which the central African word is "gumbo." You won't find THAT one in original English!

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 19:11
Even from New England can make quite a difference. I am from New England and preaching in the south, and the same words don't always the same innuendo.

Mark_

Local time
Anyway, I suggest that you read up on the British way of voting for parliament. We don't vote in Prime Ministers like the Yanks vote in presidents. If we did, I'm sure we would appoint the one with the most votes from the populace unlike the USA.

Col

Very good Colin, you've proven your inability to read once again! Outstanding!

Now to understand that, you may have to actually read my post again.. maybe several times.. and ask some help from others.

Now, as one does not vote directly for prime minister, does that explain why your vote matters so little for selecting a leader? I may have to get assistance in explaining this to you, but I'm not familiar with any special needs instructors who could help.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Now, as one does not vote directly for prime minister, does that explain why your vote matters so little for selecting a leader? .

To help you get out of the hole you are digging yourself into. You seem to be obsessed with voting in a leader.
I'll explain in simple terms - we vote for prospective members of Parliament who can belong to a political party or can be independent (that means not affiliated with any party) Usually, ones vote is for the party of choice or preference.
The leader of the winning party with the most candidates elected to Westminster is asked by the Queen to form a government, the it all goes downhill from there.

Got it?

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
the it all goes downhill from there.

Ah, we have discovered a strong similarity between the way England forms a government and the way the USA forms a government. Once the initial choices have been made, it all goes downhill from there.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Ah, we have discovered a strong similarity between the way England forms a government and the way the USA forms a government. Once the initial choices have been made, it all goes downhill from there.

Amen, and amen

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Quick question.

If I went to the USA, (God forbid) but if I did. Would I be able to buy a gun in Walmart or wherever?
I saw the film "Dirty Harry" the other day, I fancied a Magnum .44 like old Clint has. Clint says it can blow a mans head clean off, sounds good to me.

Col

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Yes and no.

Wal-Mart does actually sell guns, but due to the Brady Amendment, you have to wait several days between buying the gun and actually picking it up. Additionally, there are a number of federal ID requirements, and I'm not sure how much is involved for a non-citizen. There's also a background check requirement to ensure you're not a convicted felon.

If you really want to buy a gun in a hurry, go to a flea market or trade show. You can't get machine guns, but any gun legal to sell (and probably some that aren't quite legal for sale) can be found there, and you can pay cash and walk out that day, no background check required. Maybe not from licensed businesses, but there are all sorts of private sellers there who aren't bound by all the rules businesses have to follow.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Also, it's less 'blow clean off' than it is 'explode into messy chunks'.

However, .44s are hard and slow to aim and kick like a mule. Unless impressing someone with the size of your hand cannon is important or you plan on punching through body armor (good luck!), you're better off with something lighter. A 9 mm or even a .22 works just fine.

Mark_

Local time
Quick question.

If I went to the USA, (God forbid) but if I did. Would I be able to buy a gun in Walmart or wherever?
I saw the film "Dirty Harry" the other day, I fancied a Magnum .44 like old Clint has. Clint says it can blow a mans head clean off, sounds good to me.

Col

This may tell you a little about how difficult it actually is;
https://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-gun-buying-review-virginia-store-2019-8

As to going to a gun show, they have the same restrictions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom