remove the "Unknown Publisher" security warning (1 Viewer)

smig

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:21
I publish my App to end users as an Accde file.

How can I make my Accde file trusted to remove the "Unknown Publisher" security warning ?

Thank you

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:21
Hi. Just a guess but you'll probably have to register yourself as a (legitimate/certified) publisher, I suppose. Not really sure where or how to do that though. Sorry.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:21
Are you distributing your files as ACCDE files or using a professional installer package?
If the latter, you can include script to make the install location trusted. You can also purchase a certificate from Comodo or similar to ensure you are a trusted publisher. Doing that is expensive but it does mean your apps will not show unknown publisher warning messages.

Using self certification will not help overcome this issue.

smig

Registered User.
Local time
Are you distributing your files as ACCDE files or using a professional installer package?
If the latter, you can include script to make the install location trusted. You can also purchase a certificate from Comodo or similar to ensure you are a trusted publisher. Doing that is expensive but it does mean your apps will not show unknown publisher warning messages.

Thanks
I'm using Inno Setup to install my App.
I'll look into scripting this.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:21
Are your end users on your own domain?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:21
Are you running the app from a trusted folder? If not, you might want to try that first.

smig

Registered User.
Local time

How do I set the install location trusted ?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thanks
Where exactly in the registry?
I remember I saw it before, but can't find it again :(

Hi. Sorry, you beat me to it before I was able to add the link above. Please check my previous post again. I edited it to add a link. But just in case, here it is again.

smig

Registered User.
Local time
Hi. Sorry, you beat me to it before I was able to add the link above. Please check my previous post again. I edited it to add a link. But just in case, here it is again.

Thanks
How can I make sure not to overwrite existing trusted location ?
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations\Location(n)]

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I recommend creating your own .reg file and saving the trusted location with a unique name specific to the location or app being trusted. For example:

Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations\MyTrustedAppPath]
"Path"="G:\\MyFiles\\ExampleDatabases\\MyTrustedAppName\\"
"AllowSubFolders"=dword:00000001
"Date"="25/07/2019 09:12:08"
"Description"="Your Description goes here ...."

TIP: If you export an existing trusted location as a .reg file its easy to use it as a template

Using this approach gives you more control over the registry entry.

It also allows you to add entries in one reg file for:
a) several locations at once
b) multiple Access versions if needed e.g. 12.0, 14.0,15.0,16.0.

NOTE: It doesn't matter if the user hasn't got all those versions or locations as anything irrelevant will be ignored.
In fact before A2019 was released I wrongly assumed it would be v17.0 and added trusted locations for that in advance. In the end none of those were required (as its still 16.0) but the extra entries aren't a problem

The attached reg file contains 2 sample entries for different locations for the 4 versions of Access listed above. Unzip, right click and select Edit from the context menu to view it in Notepad. Or right click and select Merge to add to registry.

Hope that helps

Attachments

• MyTrustedLocationsExample.zip
    600 bytes · Views: 100

smig

Registered User.
Local time
I recommend creating your own .reg file and saving the trusted location with a unique name specific to the location or app being trusted. For example:

Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Access\Security\Trusted Locations\MyTrustedAppPath]
"Path"="G:\\MyFiles\\ExampleDatabases\\MyTrustedAppName\\"
"AllowSubFolders"=dword:00000001
"Date"="25/07/2019 09:12:08"
"Description"="Your Description goes here ...."

TIP: If you export an existing trusted location as a .reg file its easy to use it as a template

Using this approach gives you more control over the registry entry.

It also allows you to add entries in one reg file for:
a) several locations at once
b) multiple Access versions if needed e.g. 12.0, 14.0,15.0,16.0.

NOTE: It doesn't matter if the user hasn't got all those versions or locations as anything irrelevant will be ignored.
In fact before A2019 was released I wrongly assumed it would be v17.0 and added trusted locations for that in advance. In the end none of those were required (as its still 16.0) but the extra entries aren't a problem

The attached reg file contains 2 sample entries for different locations for the 4 versions of Access listed above. Unzip, right click and select Edit from the context menu to view it in Notepad. Or right click and select Merge to add to registry.

Hope that helps
Thanks for the info
I had no Idea I can add a trusted location as Name instead of Location(n) :D
Using Inno Setup App. it's easy to add registry entries. I'm sure will add entries for 14.0 and 16.0 (2013, 2016)
What is 15.0 ?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Thanks for the info
I had no Idea I can add a trusted location as Name instead of Location(n) :D
Using Inno Setup App. it's easy to add registry entries. I'm sure will add entries for 14.0 and 16.0 (2013, 2016)
What is 15.0 ?
So, I think it's:

2007 = 12.0
2010 = 14.0
2013 = 15.0
2016 = 16.0

There was no 13.0

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
The scripting in Inno is doing exactly the same thing.
Note the double backslashes in folder paths for the reg entries.

You can also remove entries using script and, if you want, use hex values rather than text

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom