Query to report Dates spreading over Mon to Fri (1 Viewer)

moodhi

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:15
I have a table to record sickness i.e. DateStart and DateEnd.

I need to report total sickness recorded for an employee for each of the weekday in the year.

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
2 1 3 0 4 0 5

How can I generate SQL for the above?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 18:15
Sorry to be nitpick guy, but to generate your expected results you need to add something to Maj's advice. If Thu=0 it will not show up in your final results without a little trickery.

To get a day that has no data in your final results you will need another table of all the days you want to report on. So, you will need a Day table that has all the days of the week you want to report on. Then come the sub-queries.

The first sub query will take your existing table and be a simple aggregate query that gets the results like so:

Weekday, SickDays
Monday, 2
Tuesday, 1
Wednesday, 3
Friday, 4

Next you make a another sub query using the Days of the week table mentioned above and the above query I outlined. You LEFT JOIN the query to the DAys of the week table, showing all from Days of the week. You would make a calculated field for SickDays to convert Nulls to 0's. Save that sub-query and then do the cross-tab.

moodhi

Registered User.
Local time
OK but what about the difference between the Start Date and the End Date?There is obviously range of dates between

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 18:15
This is in the same vein as making Thur=0 appear in your report, but a lot worse. You can't create data where there is none. You could have 1 record that represents 5 days of sickness, but in a query you can't explode that 1 record from the source into 5 records in the result---without major trickery.

I am sure someone will come along with a VBA recordset solution. But to accomplish this with just SQL you will need a table of all the dates you want to report on. Not days (Mon, Tues, Wed, etc.) but dates (1/1/2018, 1/2/2018, 1/3/2018, etc.). So to pursue this with SQL you need such a table.

I would search this forum for similar VBA solutions (or like I said, wait a bit, someone will post a solution).

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:15
You can't create data where there is none. You could have 1 record that represents 5 days of sickness, but in a query you can't explode that 1 record from the source into 5 records in the result---without major trickery.
I missed the point where you just have start and stop and not a record for each date. If it was me I would have another table with EmployeeID, DateOfSickness. I would loop your table and create a record for every day in the new table. You can also do this in pure sql, but I would think it would be a little ugly. I would think it requires a cartesian join to your dates table.

moodhi

Registered User.
Local time
Apologies guys. Many thanks of all useful responses.
Basically I was trying to see if there was a quick MS Access Query solution. But since there isn't I have used VBA to first loop round for all employees and within that loop round for dates between DateStart and DateEnd for each of the record and simply increment a count in variables Mon, Tue.....Sun and that's it really.
Thanks for the help.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 16:15
Hi moodhi,

See if this example on how to use a Cartesian Query might give you some ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom