Double clicking on an mdb file launches Access 2003 but does not open the db (1 Viewer)

hubard

Local time
Today, 12:03
Hi,

I have access 2003 installed together with Office 365.

I have a multi-user app with the front end being a file named "Sinca 2018.mdb" that works with a split database stored in the server (S:\)

The app is launched by the following shortcut:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" "\Program Files\Sinca\Sinca 2018.mdb" /wrkgrp "S:\Sinca.mdw" /user "user1" /PWD "pword1"

Some months ago one computer specifically started acting wierd, whenever the shortcut was clicked it launched Access and loaded the user credentials as declared on the shortcut but it did not loaded the app (the mdb file), so it had to be opened from the file-open menu.

A couple of days ago the problem began to show up on more computers in the network.

Does anyone know why is this happening and how to fix it?

Thank you

Eugene-LS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:03
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" "\Program Files\Sinca\Sinca 2018.mdb" /wrkgrp "S:\Sinca.mdw" /user "user1" /PWD "pword1"
Does anyone know why is this happening and how to fix it?
I don't know, but let's try

01 Check your shortcut:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\Program Files\Sinca\Sinca 2018.mdb" /wrkgrp "S:\Sinca.mdw" /user "user1" /PWD "pword1"

02 Just my two cents:
Check your rights то: C:\Program Files\Sinca folder (RW)

Path: "C:\Program Files\Sinca\Sinca 2018.mdb" - present?

Question:
When you Double Click in any other MDB file - what happens?

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Another question: Does your site have a unified patch scheme (everybody's system gets patched at the same time) or a less unified scheme (patches occur whenever the user's workstation decides to do it)?

Sometimes behavioral changes come about as the result of a patch.

hubard

Local time
Thanks for your suggestions, below my comments.

@Eugene-LS:
01 I tried adding the drive unit letter "C:\" and the result was the same as before

02 All the users on the machine have RW rights on the folder. When opening the file from Access menus it behaves as it should. I even tried adding a flag to the shortcut to open the file as admin but the result is the same.

03 and yes, the file is present.

Thanks for your help

@The_Doc_Man:
Yes my site has a unified patch scheme. I also tried mapping a drive in the local computer hard drive to simulate the network path (S:\) so in effect the app would be running on the local machine alone and the same thing happens.

Thanks for your suggestions, at this point I am lost as to why this might be happening and I have been trying to solve it for quite some time.

Could it possibly be something related to the registry?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Could it possibly be something related to the registry?

Absolutely could but...

A couple of days ago the problem began to show up on more computers in the network.

this makes the problem unlikely to be a registry issue. Registry issues don't migrate from machine to machine. Though they MIGHT migrate from domain controller to domain members. But normally they would all migrate at once if via domain communications.

By any chance do your front-end files contain local tables used as temporary storage for some processing steps?

hubard

Local time
Absolutely could but...

this makes the problem unlikely to be a registry issue. Registry issues don't migrate from machine to machine. Though they MIGHT migrate from domain controller to domain members. But normally they would all migrate at once if via domain communications.

By any chance do your front-end files contain local tables used as temporary storage for some processing steps?

Yes, it actually does. Can that be the cause?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom