Visual Studio 2017 Community unable to read Access .accdb files (1 Viewer)

grahamvb

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:37
In Windows 10 pro, I am using Visual Studio Community 2017 (VS), V 15.4.4, to create a Windows Forms interface to some existing Microsoft Access (.accdb) tables.

When I attempt to establish a data connection from VS, using the process shown at <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/data-tools/connect-to-data-in-an-access-database-windows-forms> I discover that the Office 2016 (365 Pro Plus) subscription did not install the “Microsoft Office 12.0 Access Database Engine. (Step 9)

So, as instructed in step 9, I proceed to <https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=23734> download the, “AccessDatabaseEngine.exe” file and follow the installation instructions.

When “AccessDatabaseEngine.exe” runs, the following message appears:

“You cannot install the 32-bit version of Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 because you currently have 64-bit Office products installed. If you want to install 32-bit Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016, you will first need to remove the 64-bit installation of office products. After uninstalling the following products, rerun setup in order to install 32-bit version of Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016:

"Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component 64-bit Registration”

Then after clicking “OK” in the above error message, I get:

“Installation ended prematurely because of an error.”

No additional information is provided.

In Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features, I do not see any reference to “Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component 64-bit Registration.” The only thing about Office is “Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus – en-us,” and that only allows various repair options for the complete Office installation.

All the Office modules, Access, Word, Excel, etc. are 32-Bit.

Any Ideas?

grahamvb

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for the best looking answer so far. Do you know what the consequences of removing the "Office Click-to-Run Extensibility Component" (12f563b9.msi) might be to my Click-to-Run Office 365 Pro Plus installation?

jleach

Registered User.
Local time
Admittedly, I don't know what sort of side effects this may have. I can find 100 posts where people did this to "fix" their installation issues with no complaints otherwise, but I can't find any documentation on what this thing actually does.

I'll ask around a bit and see if I can find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom