Enter Into Sub-Datasheet (1 Viewer)

skea

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:31
Back again. Is there a way can i get VB.NET related tables act like the Access
main to subdatasheet entry format. I need to manually enter related records into a foreign table but i cant get going. Any Idea.
I am using MSDE for the moment and i have related my two tables.

WindSailor

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:31
I am too looking into this... and this is going to be a quick reply and hopefully Kodo or someone else will expand on this for us.

I have found a few resources on this and one quick one is here:

http://ssw.com.au/ssw/Events/2005AccessToSQLServerAndNET/resources.aspx

Take a look at "How to Migrate Access forms... " that will show one way on how to use a datagrid for your related table. Evidently there is no support for subforms in .NET.
I believe I have seen other examples using the CurrencyManager and binding it to the main table of the DataSet.

Kodo

"The Shoe"
Local time
Today, 05:31
I didn't follow WindSailor's link. .given that , I would say (off the top of my head) to try using the binding source object and bind your text fields to the the values of your returned data for the "parent" form (i have a demo of that piece in the vb.net forum here). The next part would be use , maybe a gridview that rebinds it's data based on the "main" forms datakey..probably the ID of the record which is the foreign key of the sub records.
If I have time later, I'll do a demo for you.

skea

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:31
Thanks, but i think you both lost me.
What i mean. When you relate two tables in access, you get a node(+) sign on the primary table. With this, one can navigate a record in primary table to the related record in the table that contains the Foriegn field.
I usually do this in access when manually inserting data for testing my application. I now have MS-SQL 2000 Server but i also dont see the feature when i relate my tables.I have tried to create a diagram for the related tables but i cant see any thing! What do u guys do??

I am sorry,i should have posted this in the SQL-Server forum but its too late.

Last edited:

Kodo

"The Shoe"
Local time
Today, 05:31
did you enforce referential integrity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom