Report not exporting above certain page. (1 Viewer)

Harry Paraskeva

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:20
Hello,

I'm coming across a strange issue that I suspect may have to do with Access 2016 limits or time-out settings that I don't see.

I have a report that is quite complex (1 report, 5 sub-reports, 1 image field feeding from images relatively linked to the report via VBA) and long, as the Print Preview spans some 1860 pages. The internal consistency of the report is good, everything displays, no issues with how things are linked, but when I try to export it to PDF or Word or any type of export really, it all runs smoothly up to page 706 to 718, when everything suddenly stops, I'm not given any specific error and the file is simply not generated. Each time I try, the page number that the process stops varies, so I suspect it has something to do with either the system running out of resources, which I don't see, as I have 32GB memory, or Access reaching some form of hard limit or time-out setting that simply cancels all actions.

I can't break the report into smaller ones, as it is about things that need to be displayed together.

The question is: Can I do anything about it? Is there a system setting, hidden Access 2016 setting, DLL or other file that needs to be tweaked to get it to export the full PDF?

Last edited:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 18:20
how do you export it?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:20
Some more questions for you?
1. Is there anything 'special' in that page range?
2. Have you timed how long it takes before it fails?
Have you tried increasing the timeout value from default 60 to 180 or whatever?
3. Have you tried increasing max locks per file? See this thread https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=296647&highlight=Max+lock+per+file
4. Also look at disk buffer size setting https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=298749&highlight=Maxlocksperfile

Last edited:

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 18:20
have you tried to print it on virtual printer (pdf printer adobe, foxit, etc.) if they will produce a pdf.

Harry Paraskeva

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:20
Thank you all for the answers!

I increased some time-out values in the Client Settings of the program and it seems to have done the job! I knew it was somewhere in there. Provisionally, I increased the limits for file locks and disk buffer too, as in the near future I'll need to get an output for a file that will span at least 15000 pages long.

For the record I am using normal Print functions to output to PDF, as I have Acrobat installed.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:20
Thank you all for the answers!

I increased some time-out values in the Client Settings of the program and it seems to have done the job! I knew it was somewhere in there. Provisionally, I increased the limits for file locks and disk buffer too, as in the near future I'll need to get an output for a file that will span at least 15000 pages long.

For the record I am using normal Print functions to output to PDF, as I have Acrobat installed.

Glad you've got it working and that I don't have to read a file of over 15000 pages :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom