Can't enter data in related table (1 Viewer)

david.paton

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:08
I originally had a notes table in which I was going to store notes regarding everyone in the various tables, such as carers, notes, children, etc. I couldn’t get that working so I decided to create a table for each entity that I wanted to record notes for but that won’t work either. I don’t understand why as there is a field linking the two tables together in a one to many relationship.

I am trying to link a table, tblCaseManagers to a table to write notes in, tblCMNotes. It looks like the relationship is entered correctly but when I go into design view and enter the fields from tblCMNotes, CMNotesDate and CMNotesNotes I have a problem. I enter form view and the table just goes blank from the form header down.

I have just realized that I just reopen the form without saving it and the form appears to now be only able to enter data.

Could someone help me please?

Attachments

• Carers.v9.accdb.zip
    311 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:08
In the attached db I used the wizard add a sub form for the notes. A sub form is usually used for the many side of a one to many relationship.
I have changed the main forms DataEntry property to NO and the AllowEdits property to YES. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Carers.v9.zip
    125.5 KB · Views: 31

david.paton

Registered User.
Local time
That was great, thanks Bob. I tried to do that but when I dragged the notes form onto the carer form, I deleted the ID field instead of hiding it. You helped me work that out so thanks :)

david.paton

Registered User.
Local time
Could you help me with another problem I have now please? I need a way to assign a case manager and a carer to a child, or for that matter, could you please tell me how to do this as I keep encountering this problem with other areas of this and other dbs.

This will need to have an option to change it, as the child may be assigned a different carer or case manager at a later date. I have been searching a lot online for how I can do this but I just didn’t know what to search for.

My attempts were in the frmChildOld and frmChildold2.

Attachments

• Carers.v10.accdb.zip
    194.2 KB · Views: 31

david.paton

Registered User.
Local time
Hi David

See the attached

View attachment 70363

The row source for the combo box, cboCarer in the form, frmChildCarerssubform is SELECT tblCarers.CarersID, [CarersLastName] & " ," & [CarersFirstName] AS Carer FROM tblCarers ORDER BY tblCarers.CarersLastName;

Could you explain this to me please?

david.paton

Registered User.
Local time
SELECT tblCarers.CarersID, [CarersLastName] & " ," & [CarersFirstName] AS Carer FROM tblCarers ORDER BY tblCarers.CarersLastName;

I understand that you are selecting the carerID row from tblCarers to identify that record.

I just had some questions:

1. Do the brackets specify field data that is shown for that record selected?
2. Why does it say AS Carer?

I also tried it myself:

SELECT tblCarers.CarerID, [CarersFirstName]&" "&[CarersLastName] AS Carer FROM tblCarers ORDER BY tblCarers.tblCarersFirstName;

Where did I go wrong as it won't work?

Last edited:

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Hi David

The Row source for the cboCarer is using a Select Statement.

To see the Select Statement - go into the Design View of the Form and if you then click into the Row Source Row you will see 3 dots at the end (...)
Click on this and it will open the Select Statement as shown below:-

Carer.JPG

The column for the Carer is shown using what is known as an Alias

So I Type the name "Carer:" followed by a colon and then I Concatenate the 2 fields Lastname & Firstname as shown

Best to use the Lastname to Sort by as it makes it easier to find the Carer

david.paton

Registered User.
Local time
I had a couple more questions. What are the square brackets used for and could you explain to me what "AS carer" does please?

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Hi David

In my previous post I explained how to create a new Column (Field) in the Query grid by typing Carer in a new Column.

This would then display in SQL as this:-

Code:
SELECT tblCarers.CarersID, [CarersLastName] & " ," & [CarersFirstName] AS Carer
FROM tblCarers
ORDER BY tblCarers.CarersLastName;

To see this SQL View when you are looking at the Row Source Select statement in the Query, if you Right-Click in the area that displays the 2 tables and select SQL View you will see what I mean.

david.paton

Registered User.
Local time
So you basically write a query to display in the combo box?

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Hi David

No The Select Statement is created by the Combox Wizard which you can then modify by using the Method I described.

When you create the Combobox initially it would look like this when you look at the Row Source:-

carer.JPG

You would then modify this select query so that it would now look like this:

carer1.JPG

All we have done is Concatenate the Surname & First name by using Concatenation i.e.

[CarersLastName]&" ,"&[CarersFirstName]

The we name this string using the field name of "Carer:" to make it like this:-

Carer:[CarersLastName]&" ,"&[CarersFirstName]

You can also create a query as normal and save it with a name and then when you create the Combobox you can make the Row Source the name of the query

Last edited:

david.paton

Registered User.
Local time
What do I need to do to get my subforms on my child form to look like yours:
your attempt.png

I can only get my form to look like this:
my attempt.png

I understand you need to set it to a continuous form but how do you seperate the label from the text box for each field to put in the header?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom