Incorporating fields from a number of tables in reports. (1 Viewer)

brendonp

Local time
Today, 00:40
Hi. I don’t think I’m using the right terminology here but ......
I am trying to design a report that shows a list of bulletins from a table ‘tblBulletin’. One of the fields in this table ‘ClientID’ refers to another table ‘tblClient’. Rather than displaying the autonumber field ClientID in the report, I want to display the clients first and last name from the table ‘tblClient’.
Additionally i want the first and last name to appear like a name rather than 2 separate fields.

Attached is the relationship table of the database. I want to do this a number of times throughout the forms and reports.

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 17:40
You base the report on a query that joins the necessary tables, enabling you to return the descriptive field instead of the numeric key field.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 19:40
Attached is the relationship table of the database

You need to fix that before you move on to reports. There should only be one way to traverse from unique tables in a database. You have created a spiderweb that will surely haunt you when you start writing queries.

Again, only 1 path between tables. From tblStaffProfessional to to tblClient I can draw 3 ways to get there. This is incorrect. I don't know enough about your data to tell you which is the only path you should have, but I know you have 2 too many.

Additionally, tables with only 1 real field of data (autonumbers don't count as real data) shouldn't exist. That means tblSecurityLevel, tblGender and tblTitle are unnecessary. Instead of storing the autonumber value in the foreign table, just store the value it relates to there.

+1 for literally taking a shot of your screen with your phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom