Connect My MS Access DB to Google Cloud (1 Viewer)

Moore71

DEVELOPER
Local time
Today, 15:24
Hi,
I have done a lot of search before coming up with this puzzle.
I have a desktop App that I would like to connect to cloud for syncing with other device. So I thought the first easier step is to link the DB with my SQL server and then connect to google cloud, as I thought would be cheap, but my greatest puzzle is how do I link my SQL server with google cloud. I am new to these and sharepoint is not responding to my demand.
What can I do?
Thanks a lot for your assistant.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:24
Access is optimized to work on a LAN. It works very poorly over the internet. If you convert the BE from ACE to Azure and expect it to perform well, you'll be disappointed. No cloud technology will work for this. So Drop Box and it's ilk are also a problem. You can use them to store a database but under NO CONDITIONS should multiple users ever attempt to access the database at the same time. The last person to close will have his copy of the BE overlay the other person's version. The updates are NOT merged as they are when a BE is shared on a network.

If you are willing to do a lot of work to the FE to switch to unbound forms and stored procedures, you can get acceptable responsiveness provided your provider offers a good enough connection. Access is simply not suitable for use across a WAN.

If you wan't multiple users, look into RDP or Citrix. Neither will require any programming changes and both work quite well.

Moore71

DEVELOPER
Local time
Maybe you didn't get me correct, I have shared the backend with SQL server and now want how to link my SQL server with google cloud.
Thank you

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Moore71,

how do I link my SQL server with google cloud
I have shared the backend with SQL server and now want how to link my SQL server with google cloud.

Can you tell us clearly what exactly you are trying to do? Give some examples if necessary to show some details.
Perhaps an example of the type of business and data involved to help with context.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
If you just want to upload your SQL database so it can be copied onto another computer and used 'offline', then you can backup from SQL Server and upload using google drive or dropbox or whatever.

To backup in sql server, use Tools...Backup.

If that's all you want to do, fine ... But don't transfer the file back again unless you are the only user and are sure there is no conflict.

If however you are hoping to run the SQL backend from Google Drive, then as Pat has already explained, it won't work well and there is a strong risk of data corruption if the connection gets broken. Pat has suggested two alternatives.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Maybe you didn't get me correct
Maybe you didn't understand the answer so I'll try again.

1. Linking to a database in the cloud is not going to provide a satisfactory solution. Access is optimized to work on a LAN. It is painfully slow when linking to a database in the cloud. Azure is the best of the options but it is still unsatisfactory.

2. Heading off the next question, I pointed out that using Drop Box or anything like it will not work at all.

3. The best solution for remote connection is to use RDP or Citrix. Both of those run the Access app on the server and share keystrokes and pictures with the client computer. No data is transferred over the internet and therefore, they will be as responsive as if the remote user were connected to a local LAN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom