sercurity and login forum and relationships and sliting DB (1 Viewer)

RockinJ

Local time
Today, 07:50
here is what happened i think. so I am building this database for a tutoring center called TRiO services at University of Montana, this is my first full on database I have built and I am getting close to finishing it, so what happened I think is I downloaded a example database to look at and it was 07 access DB and the security level features on 07 formatting allow SLU. So i was looking into the security features and opened the wizard for user level account security and made I new group I think in this example database because I wanted to see what type of security I wanted to use on my DB (if that makes sense). so I think by turning this feature on in the 07 example DB it turned on the feature for all access files. so every time i open an access file I have to login as admin or users (ULS). so the thing is I want to get rid off this feature and just encrypt the DB because 2010 formatting doesn't allow ULS from what I understand so I need help getting rid of this feature, it seems like others replaced or resaved a securtiy.mdl or system.mdl or something like that which returned it to its default settings (if that makes sense...)

thanks jesse f

P.S. I need help with some or problems too to finish this DB up
want to have my login in forum I created use the table I have of usernames and passwords.

also would like a second opinion on how i have my relationships set up

and when you split a database and the wizard creates the back end for you do you just delete the tables in the front end and is there a wizard for establish or reconnecting the tables.....

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:50
Welcome Aboard:) What you are experiencing is the major reason that ULS was deprecated. All Access databases in A2003 and earlier are secured. You are just not aware of it because unless you have created a custom work group and logged into it, Access just uses the default System.mdw and logs you into that as an Admin.

If you created a workgroup with a name other than System.mdw, your System.mdw will still be unaltered so you can just rejoin it and all databases will appear to be unsecured again. If you modified System.mdw, you will need to locate a clean copy so you can join it. I have attached a clean copy you can use.

In the future, if you have to work with a database secured with ULS, create a shortcut and add /wrkgrp workgroupname.mdw as parameters. If you join a workgroup, Access updates the registry with that information and that is why all subsequent applications appear to be secured (they aren't really). You are still connected to the secured workgroup until you join another. Once you join the clean workgroup I sent, that will update your registry and you will be fine. When you use the /wrkgrp runtime argument, the registry is not updated so other databases don't act like they are secured when they are not.

This is the Access Security FAQ. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/207793 It will explain in more detail what I summarized here and it will tell you how to correctly secure a database should you want to.

Attachments

• Unaltered_System.zip
    100.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom