New person on the block (1 Viewer)

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:58
Hi, my name is Kevin. I have been in the computer industry a long time (before PC's). I got introducted to computers in college (It was either going to be computer science or electrical engineering, computers looked like more fun).

After graduating went to California to work for a entertaiment software company called Sierra On-Line. My first job was to convert code so that our adventure games would run on the Commodore 64 (does that date me). I then went to work for Creative Software. I worked on some productivity software for them.

Anyhow I ended back at Sierra On-Line doing QA, technical support and programming. Worked of a couple of the Quest for Glory games.

I parted ways with Sierra On-Line, and now working for the government (local). Most of my work involves creating Crystal Report (thus the reason I joined this forum), but I still have to do some support for Access DB's from time to time.

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Today, 09:58
Frist, welcome to the forum. Good to have someone almost as old as me. LOL

I parted ways with Sierra On-Line, and now working for the government (local).

I see you are still in the "game" business. LOL.

Welcom aboard.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:58
Mr. B commented on similiarity between writing game code and writing government code. However, I find another similarity.

I'm a hobbyist writer. I write government documentation by day and fantasy fiction by night. No retraining required during the transitions.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 10:58
Wow, that's a very interesting background. I remember the days I wanted to be a game programmer. Is it really as fun as it looks in movies?

Welcome to the forum!

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
It was fun, but (at least at Sierra On-Line) it was sometimes a lot of long hours and funky errors (we had our own game language) and language limitations. Sierra was nice with a deadline looming, they would supply us with sugar and sodas, sleep optional.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 10:58
Did you have any hand in any of the King's Quest games or Leisure Suit Larry games? Classics!

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Did QA work on LSL 3 (did a 24 hour day once) and KQ5. I did programing on KQ7. I remember doing a lot of work on the china shop. I know I did work on other areas, but that was a long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom