Hi, Been looking around a while. (1 Viewer)

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:09
Hi,

I have been here a while but I am quite new to programming etc.

I am 24 and graduated from uni in 2008 and got a job 6 months later working for a local authority. I pretty much attempt to do anything...had tiny experience of progrss dbs/sql/access..applications, network etc

Anyway I do like my job I get a lot of responsibility which can be scary for someone like me but so far I have managed to do everything and lets face it...if u get stuck use Google...or our friendly community here on AWF

Anyway I am Scottish but live in North West England now...

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 05:09
That sounds like quite a workload for one person!

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
yup all in one day...realise how funny it sounded so edited a bit :p

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:09
As nasty as your days can be, you should consider that the more you learn on this job, the better you look on subsequent job interviews. And in a time when qualified people are harder to find, having more qualifications is often a GOOD thing.

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
i like it to be honest, i sometimes wish i spent more time on a problem so i could learn more...but never mind

the hardest project has all been down to communication - thats a big learning curve lol

Last edited:

c_smithwick

Underpaid Programmer
Local time
Welcome!

In my experience, there are a great deal of employed IT "professionals" out there who can have some pretty dodgy actual experience. Don't feel intimidated by your "newness" - you can excel in your career if you study and learn to solve things without too much reliance on the "old guard" whom you assume have all the corporate knowledge. I have never been professionally employed as a programmer - it just seems to find a way into my duties - mostly self-generated. I write short (or long) programs and databases to ease my own workload and I am continually amazed when I occasionally get into a conversation with one of the IT guys at how much I seem to know and how little they seem to know. Don't let old dogs scare you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom