Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Tables

Old 04-02-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
TClark14

TClark14
Can't update records in Linked table

I have done everything I can think of to remedy this, but I can't figure out why this is happening. I have a linked table from excel that contains 5 fields for each record. I have a table in access with matching records and 20-30 fields. The linked spreadsheet is used when adding records. I have a query that queries both tables to get all data from both and a form based on that query where others can pertinent data for the records resulting from the query. My problem is that when I open the form the new records that were added in the linked file are there but all the fields from the access table cannot be updated. I have looked every place I know to look for record locks, read only options, everything I can think of why i cannot update these records and I am coming up empty. I checked my join properties and selected the only one that actually displays the linked records when the query is run (not sure the name of the join but it's #2 of 3 join properties options (in Access 2002). maybe I am just overlooking something simple? Do you have any ideas what I can do here?

Thanks!

TClark14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:15 PM   #2
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,076 Times in 1,022 Posts
Pat Hartman is just really nice Pat Hartman is just really nice Pat Hartman is just really nice Pat Hartman is just really nice Pat Hartman is just really nice
The problem is that in order for a query to be updatable, ALL the tables and queries it references must be updatable. I think due to a lawsuit that MS lost, linked Excel files are no longer updatable. To get around this problem, you'll need to import the excel files.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: