forcefully closing the backend database before compacting (1 Viewer)

Rashu15

Local time
Today, 02:16
Hi,

I have a Ms Access split database where in the backend database grows up very fast and needs to be compressed everyday. I have written a batch script to compact the same and have scheduled it to be run every night. But the script is unable to compress the backend every time since the users tend to leave the application open at the end of the day. Ideally i am looking for a command line script to forcefully close the back end database if open before attempting to compact it.
I searched on web but could not find a command line script for forcefully closing the back end database.Need your ideas and solution to accomplish this task.

Thanks in advance

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:16
I don't have code handy, perhaps someone will post a link but you need to do this from the inside. The standard technique is by using the Timer event in a FE form. Also, look into the tools offered at www.fmsinc.com. Their maintenance tool will almost certainly solve your problem.

Rashu15

Local time
Today, 02:16
Thanks for the reply. I am new to MS Access and have no much idea about implementing this using the timer event. It would be helpful if you can provide a sample code that gives me idea of how it looks like. Also, are you saying this cannot be implemented without involving front end? Because there are several frontend copies set up for different users and all of them pointing to the same backend. Adding a new form in FE would mean adding it in all of them. Is there any way of just killing the backend process from command line and compacting the database?
Appreciate any help on this
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom