Text Box Data Validation against a field in another table (1 Viewer)

johansena

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:37
Hello,

I am a novice Access 2007 user.

I am working on a form that registers new training attendees. One of the fields in my form asks for dealer number.

I have a separate table where all the dealer information is stored. One of the fields is a Customer Number field

I want to ensure that entries in the Dealer Number textbox on my New Registration form matches a valid Customer Number in the Dealer Database Table

I would like this verification to occur either upon a Click event with a button or on an After Update event.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

rzw0wr

I will always be a newbie
Local time
Today, 15:37
I don't know exactly what you had in mind to verify that the compare was true.
However you can use a WHERE clause in query to show that the number is there and matches.

WHERE [Dealer Number text box] = [Customer Number]
BTW if your actual field names have spaces it would be of great benefit to you and anyone troubleshooting your db if you were to remove the spaces and any Special characters.

Dale

johansena

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks, I had thought about this, but I wasn't really sure where to build the query.

Can I use the expression builder through the event tab in the properties window for the Dealer Number textbox, or do I have to build a specific query?

Also if I use this meathod, if the data entered in the Dealer Number textbox doesn't equal any record in the Customer Number field is it possible to display an error message?

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Today, 12:37
In this situation it's common to use a combobox. A combo's row source is drawn from a table, and each item in the combo's list is then a candidate, when selected, to be the "Value" of the control.

rzw0wr

I will always be a newbie
Local time
Today, 15:37
If you want to type in the number then add you table(s) to a query and in the field that holds the data.
Enter, Forms!YourFormName!YourTextBoxName
In after update event of your text box enter Requery.

Dale

johansena

Registered User.
Local time
I don't know if a combo box is appropriate here because there are over 600 records wich would make for a very long combo box. Also the values are arbitrary, and wouldn't be easy to identify.

johansena

Registered User.
Local time
I actually ended up using a combo box. While it is not exactly what I was looking for I was able to fiddle with it enough to make it meet my needs.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom