Database Support Options (1 Viewer)

PiedPiper70

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:33
On Sunday I'm converting a large client from Access front and back end to Access FE and SQL server back end.

In the Access days I would regularly take a copy of their data file by copying it remotely into Dropbox. I could then run it here in my office and use it for development or bug-fixing and so on.

I'm wondering what the best strategy is for SQL server? I could copy their latest backup file into Dropbox as before, then run it as a restore into my clone of their system. But is there a better way like a one-way sync, or replication, or a.n.other? Any suggestions, however simple, will be considered.

Thanks
Dave

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 20:33
I'm just curious because I have quite a few Clients with Access FE's and SQL Server BE's, why do you need current data? You are only going to be troubleshooting/updating the FE's correct? Now, if you really want a current dataset you need to create a Back-up via the SQL Server and then do a restore from Back-up but it really is more trouble than it's worth to update FE's.

PiedPiper70

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:33
Gina - the main reason I want their real data here is that it helps me with support knowing that I am looking at data which is, say, a week or so old at the most. This is really helpful when debugging some of the incredibly complex reports that they ask for..

As you can see from my post I am familiar with the idea of taking a copy of a backup and using it as a restore. My question was, is there a better way? Any ideas?

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 20:33
Not that I know of.. always been kind of easy to do that way, at least, for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom