Access Disdain - Editorial at SQL Server Central (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 14:52
For those Access develops who enjoy a debate.
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Editorial/109957/
Access Disdain

By Andy Warren, 2014/07/17
Today we have a guest editorial from Andy Warren as Steve Jones is at SQL Bits.
I learned databases back in the days of DOS and DBF files. If you ever worked with dBase III or anything that used the DBF format you wound up with a folder full of various files. I remember trying out Access v1.1 (May 1993 for those who wondered). It was I think the first Windows database I had used and I remember thinking how nice it was to have all the “files” in a single container, the MDB. I went on to use it a lot. I built a couple apps that used it for a data store, I used it a lot for ad hoc reporting and data entry/fixing, and I worked at a company that used it as their primary ETL solution.
Later I moved on to SQL Server 6.5 and 7.0. I remember learning to create indexes in SQL and being struck that I had to give them names - in Access you just entered the columns, no name required. That was a worthwhile tradeoff just to be through with doing the compact/repair operation that seemed to be required all too often in Access.
(see more at link above)

Access Users might actually enjoy the 97 post about this article:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1593357-263-1.aspx
`

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:52
I'm not interested enough to login...

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:52
I still use DOS.

It is good for managing files sometimes.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:52
I'm not interested enough to login...

I logged on and had a read.

After you have read one line you have basically read it all. It is just a bunch of uneducated people who think they know better than the Microsoft Organisation. So they display their talents by denigrating what they do not understand.

Access is the most widely used (as in real Database) in the world. That alone should make someone think.

Now what is the largest Database one may ask, and so you should.

Hint, it was developed by Microsoft.

I am just curious if anyone has read this so I won't post the answer until someone say, "Hey Mister could you please tell me. "

Uncle,
You were right not to press the button. One so beautiful and talented as you should not subject themselves to such morons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom