problem with 2 simular subforms (1 Viewer)

dirkvw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:34
Is it possible to show on a form 2 times the same subform but the first time filled with records where a field (categorie) has the value 1, the second time where this value = 2.
Of course, I know I can make 2 nearly the same subforms, where I only change the data-conditions, but it feels like not to be the best solution.

llkhoutx

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:34
Create a pseudoname for each subform and use the "real" subform as the psuedoforms control source adjust each record source appropriately.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:34
or you can make use of the linkchild and linkmaster properties

Then you don't have to mess with the recordsource

create two hidden textboxes, call them say sf1 and sf2, set the controlsource to =1 in the first and =2 in the second.

Assuming your 'normal' link is tblID in both mainform and subform then the first subform you would set

linkchild to tblID;sf1
linkmaster tblID;Category

and for the second subform

linkchild to tblID;sf2
linkmaster tblID;Category

dirkvw

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks to IIkhoutx and CJ London for helping me.
IIkhoutx:
...and adjust each record source appropriatly.
How can I do that? I only see the second subform as a white window. When I select it, it seems not to be possible to set a filter in the properties .
CJ London:
I tried this method already, but failed because I used the help of ACCESS to fill in the linking fields in the properties (always got an error-message). Now I did it by just typing the text in the properties-window, and it works like a charm!

I stil have a little problem. On the subform I have a command button to open another form. How can I know from which subform I used that command button. If I use Me.name, I get the name of the real subform, if I use me.caption I get "". (In the properties I filled in by subform1 sub1, by subform 2 sub2). I need to know this for setting the openargs of the opening form.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:34
Code:
 How can I know from which subform I used that command button
you could refer to the category since that has been linked

e.g.

Code:
 select case category
     case 1
         'openargs =this
     case 2
         'openargs=that
     case else
         'msgbox "something not right"
 end select

dirkvw

Registered User.
Local time
Of course! that's so logical that I'm ashamed I did't find the solution myself.
Many thanks and a great weekend.
Dirk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom