Error creating formula based on a mailmerge field (1 Viewer)

Anchoress

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:42
I'm struggling to successfully create a calculation in MSWord based upon a value in a merge field.

The problem may be because the merge files are stored in and run from the Donor Contact Management Database The Raiser's Edge, or because the version used is 2007.

I used instructions for Word 2010, but they didn't work. The formula they suggested was: {={"MERGEFIELD"}*1.5}.

The instructions I used are here: https://www.itsupportguides.com/office-2010/word-2010-calculations-using-mail-merge-fields/

When I preview the results I get a numeric value of zero, but when I actually merge the letter I get this error message: !Undefined Bookmark, AMOUNT

"AMOUNT" is the name of the field I am wanting to perform the calculation on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 14:42
Put the calculation in the query, then merge.

Anchoress

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:42
Thanks Raman256, that's an excellent 101 suggestion. However, my data source is batches in the Raiser's Edge database, and there is no opportunity in that medium to create user-defined calculated fields.

Any other suggestions to answer the question I asked?

gerry@docshop.ie

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:42
Hi, this is possible

1 place the Merge field with the number into your document, and then from the [insert tab] choose Bookmark to bookmark the MergeField. I called it NUMBER1
2. if you do not want to display this merge field, then on the Font options on the Home tab, select the merge field and then select the checkbox HIDDEN on the font options
3. Place the cursor at the location to display the result and select [Insert] tab, then [Quick Parts] and from this drop down, select [Field] and then choose the option '=Formula' and then click the [Formula] button
5. On The formula window delete anything in the Formula line and then select [Paste Function] and from the drop down choose PRODUCT
6. the formula should look like =PRODUCT(NUMBER1,1.5) this will multiply the content of the bookmark NUMBER1 by 1.5

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom