Reports vs Continuous Forms vs Datasheets (1 Viewer)

chrisjames25

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:39
Hi. THanks to you guys im getting to the stage where i can start to look at how to display data that has been inputted from some of the forms we have worked on. Long way to go to have finished mccoy but progress is progress!!!

Question is this:

Is there an accepted best way to present data or does it dpened what you want to acheive with how it is displayed.

For example should i use a report always to display information or shold it be a datasheet or even a continuous form.

I like that with a continuous form i can make it look like a datasheet but have a command button on each line stating edit or something similar and it can easily allow me to alter an errorneous data input.

Drawback to contin form is rearranging column and filtering etc vs a datasheet.

Any opinions on the matter greatly appreciated.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:39
In general, I use forms to let the user manipulate data (add/edit/delete) and reports to present data. I personally don't like datasheet view so never use it, but that's me. I've never cared about rearranging columns and I create the filtering functionality myself rather than rely on built-in tools.

I have on rare occasion used a report in Report view to allow users to manipulate data, when I needed the sorting/grouping/whatever of a report but the interactivity of a form. The report is read only though, so it's a bit of a pain to allow the user to manipulate data.

chrisjames25

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the info and guidance above. Muc happreicated

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I tend to use continuous forms, but have occasionally used datasheet forms.

I still use A2003 for the most part, which doesn't have interactive reports, so for me a report is not the same as a form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom