SQL Server Error 18456 (1 Viewer)

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
Today, 11:34
At the last place I worked, users could not even see their ODBC connections, let alone create one. They were there, but just not visible. Add her as an administrator on her box and try. What about my other questions?

rsbutterfly16

Registered User.
Local time
she is an administrator to her box. I am having the same issue with another user also (same error message when trying to open the tables from access) , but all the other users can connect fine from their desktops. Everyone here in the office has windows xp. We are using a software here that to be able to use it , each user has to be an administrator to their box. :confused:

rsbutterfly16

Registered User.
Local time
so since i can login with her credentials in my desktop and the dsn works, it means it has nothing to do with authentication?

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
Exactly.

Something funky with the DSN and their machines.

Last edited:

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
Sorry, I wrote that, then remembered you are doing a system DSN, not a file DSN. System DSN are registry entries.

On her machine, when you create a new System DSN, what is the version & date of the SQL driver listed there?

And you are darn tootin' sure that you are creating a System DSN and not a User DSN?

rsbutterfly16

Registered User.
Local time
hi, i hope you had a great weeekend. Yes, i am positive is a system dsn...the sql driver version is 2000.85.1117. I am sending you also printscreens of the dsn...

rsbutterfly16

Registered User.
Local time
something else: when i test the connection , it says odbc driver version 03.85.1117 , but when i create the dsn and i select the sql driver it says version: 2000.85.1117, can this have something to do why i only can tested ok when i run as administrator?

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
rsbutterfly16 said:
hi, i hope you had a great weeekend. Yes, i am positive is a system dsn...the sql driver version is 2000.85.1117. I am sending you also printscreens of the dsn...

I've been waiting for the printscreens.

:confused:

rsbutterfly16

Registered User.
Local time
here it is, thanks!!! can it be a setting i am missing in active directory for this user?, I added a sql server login for her and now she has to type the sql server login and passord everytime and it works.. so it has to be with the windows authentication... :confused:

Attachments

• DSN screen shots1.zip
    264.1 KB · Views: 424

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
Can I see the screenshots leading up to the test?

rsbutterfly16

Registered User.
Local time
i would like to send your printscreens , can i send it to your email? the file it is too big to attach it. :eek:

rsbutterfly16

Registered User.
Local time
the test is coming from, ODBC Data Source ADministrator, Microsoft SQL server DSN configuration, and then the button for Test Data Source. Also, just making sure the issue is not coming from Active Directory.... the box is in windows 2000(we are going to upgrading it next month) and my sql server box is windows 2003. this is how the users are set up.

under computer management:
Active Directory Users and computers [MedMiami]
MedMiami
users folder
username, member of domain users, active directory folder domainname/Users
Dial in tab:
Remote Access permission
Deny access
Call back options
No Callback

his desktop:

is part of Active directory domain computers
Trust computer for delegation is unchecked
DNS name: computer1.domainName

Note: our box where sql server 2000 is at is also part of the domain computers and set up the same way.

Another thing: My access front end is at a network drive where users connect to. before everyone was able to conect fine to the tables without me going to their desktops and adding a dsn.

Attachments

• dsn.pdf
    38.4 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

pdx_man

Just trying to help
Local time
Hmmm ... I am stumped. I know it is not the reply you wanted, but ...

rsbutterfly16

Registered User.
Local time
is it ok, as long as i know i am not the only one, if you think of something please tell me, anything would be great... :eek:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:34
1613046345613.png

Wow - 14 Years Old = possibly a new record? 😁

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
That was 6 residences ago for me and I had most of my hair

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:34
@Robin Gail - We thank you for trying to help, but as a word of advice, look at the date/time of the posts to which you are responding. Your desire to help is admirable and your answers might even help new users looking at old problems. But the thread you just answered is 14 years old and documents an exchange between two users, one of whom I don't even remember at the moment and the other I remember only vaguely.

As a matter of conservation of effort, look at the timing of the posts. If they gave it up 14 years ago, the odds are that they aren't interested in seeing the answer now. Look for more recent posts where your help will be more immediately appreciated.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:34
@The_Doc_Man Doc - I'm not convinced that Robin is legit - the posts apart from this one seem to be promoting a recovery program.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom