dbSeeChanges option ? (1 Viewer)

Berti

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:35
Hi,

I have an Access Front end App, using a link Table with SQL. The table has a Primary Key as "Auto Number". I just imported the Table to SQL and linked through Access, but when I enter a new record or changing an existing rec. I get an error message "You must use the dbSeeChanges option with OpenRecordSet when accessing a SQL Server table that has an IDENTITY column."
I am not a programmer so please if someone knows a solution, please explain in a way so I can understand what this means and what I am doing worng.I have to distribute this app on Monday to the users and I am warry about it:eek:

Thanks a lot,
Berti

Berti

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,

I have an Access Front end App, using a link Table with SQL. The table has a Primary Key as "Auto Number". I just imported the Table to SQL and linked through Access, but when I enter a new record or changing an existing rec. I get an error message "You must use the dbSeeChanges option with OpenRecordSet when accessing a SQL Server table that has an IDENTITY column."I am not a programmer so please if someone knows a solution, please explain in a way so I can understand what this means and what I am doing worng.I have to distribute this app on Monday to the users and I am warry about it:eek:

Thanks a lot,
Berti

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Please do not post same topic in different forums.

To answer your question, here's a whitepaper that you should read first. Jet and ODBC Connectivity. It's for Jet 3.0 but is still valid for 4.0.

Berti

Registered User.
Local time
Please do not post same topic in different forums.

To answer your question, here's a whitepaper that you should read first. Jet and ODBC Connectivity. It's for Jet 3.0 but is still valid for 4.0.

Hi Banana,

I apologies for posting the topic in different forums, but I am a new user and I didn't know that. I was thinking this topic is related to both Access and SQL and I wasn't sure where to post.
Reading the article you suggested, I was not able to find a solution. Is there any other hint?:confused:
Thank you,
Berti

Banana

Local time
Hmm. I thought it explained different ways how you can open a recordset but I didn't see that myself. My apologies.

I'll need to find that article which is at my work, but for now you can look at Access help about "OpenRecordset method"; it should explain different options. When you've read it, and have experimented with different setting, come back with more specific questions you may have.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
How are you entering the new record? You would need to add that option as appropriate to the method you're using. You can check help on that method or post it here.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I'm merging this post into the SQL Server post.

Berti

Registered User.
Local time
How are you entering the new record? You would need to add that option as appropriate to the method you're using. You can check help on that method or post it here.

I have created a form. If I change a record or enter a new record from the form, I get this error message eventhough the record is saved.
The programmer that build this DB has left the company...,but a function has been created that has this code:

sSql = "Select MSysObjects.* from MSysObjects where isnull([connect]) = false order by [Name]"
Set dbHere = CurrentDb()
Set rsTables = dbHere.OpenRecordset(sSql)

I changed the last line to Set rsTables = dbHere.OpenRecordset(sSql, dbOpenDynaset, [dbSeeChanges]), but nothing happened.

By reading Jet Database Engine document, given by the user named Banana, I understand, It is related to the primary key which is an Auto number field, but I don't know how to fix it.
Any idea?
Many thanks!

Banana

Local time
Erm, MSysObjects is a system table. You shouldn't be adding or editing that table at all; it's strictly for Access internal use only. I don't think it's a SQL Server table as well; it's a local table saved inside of Access.

It's okay to read it (perhaps to list all tables you have in Access for example), but definitely not for editing.

What are you trying to do with it? Maybe there's an alternative solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom