Missing SQL Server tables after upsize (1 Viewer)

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:05
Hi,
i am trying to get started upsizing my db to SQL server. I run the upsizing wizard with choice "Link SQL Sever tables to existing application". It seems to run fine, and I get no errors. The tables are visible in SQL server. BUt I do NOT get any linked tables in my existing application. The old tables all get renamed to {OldTable}_Local, but I don't get any new links to the SQL server tables. How do I get the links?

Thanks,
Vickie

PeterOC

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:05
Hi Vicky,

I haven't got a solution for you but just wondering:
How many tables are involved?
Are you upsizing to SQL 2000 or 2005

Can you just delete the tables from Sql Server and redo the upsize?

Are you keeping you're project as an mdb or going to adp?

P

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
Upsizing from Access 2002 to SQL 2005.
I tried re-doing the upsize several times. No difference.
I'm keeping the project as an mdb.

Understand I have a lot of Access experience but NONE with SQL server. After literally YEARS of delays, I've finally gotten our IT department to give me a SQL server account. However, nobody in IT knows a thing about Access. So... some very basic and probably stupdi questions... Am I supposed to have something SQL-related installed on my PC? I have all these books on upsizing from Acces to SQL but I seem to be missing some very basic stuff. Like, for instance, one book says that after I've upsized, "the new SQL Server database can be opened for exploration using the Enterprise Manager..." Huh? What's that? Where is it? I'm so confused....

tehNellie

Registered User.
Local time
The enterprise manager is the SQL Server mangement console.

I've never come across the problem you mention, if you didnt have the relevant permission on the server I'd expect you to see an error message.

I've just tried going from Access 2002 to SQLserver express 2005 without any problems so I'm not too sure what to suggest to be honest. Is the upsizing wizard even creating the database on the sql server?

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, the wizard is creating the db on the server, but I only know this because I can see the tables from a tool that the IT person has on her desktop, which I do NOT have. I have no way that I know of, currently, to see anything within SQL server, from my PC... so .... This "SQL Server Management Console" of which you speak... is this something I should have installed on my PC? Or be able to get to somehow?

PeterOC

Registered User.
Local time
Vicky,

If you're upsizing you DB to SQL server you need access to it. Ideally you should be able to remote desktop to it. You'll need to familiarise yourself with Enterprise Manager and SQL Server in general, especially if there's not good communication with your IT dept.

In the meantime if your tables have been created on SQL Server you should still be able to create links to them.
If you right click in the tables section - link tables - select ODBC from 'Files of type'. The 'Select Data Source' dialogue box will appear and you can go on from there. Do you have a DSN set up?

Let me know how you get on with this...

tehNellie

Registered User.
Local time
Just to re-iterate what Peter's said, If you're responsible for this database then yes, you need access to the console/backend database. It is installed as part of the SQL server tools and comes on the SQL Server CD so your IT department should have it kicking around somewhere and be able to install it. Usual caveats about being able to potentially ruin a lot more than your own tables using this tool apply.

The Access front end should have automatically linked to the new tables as part of the wizard but if you follow Peter's instructions you should at least be able to determine fairly quickly whether you have actually got your tables.

DataMiner

Registered User.
Local time
Ok, I figured out the DSN stuff and how to link my tables. Also figured out, I think, that they didn't automatically link because I still had some Access security in place. When I got rid of that and re-ran the upsizing tool, they linked automatically.

However, I am still confused about the Enterprise manager stuff. My IT department seems to know almost as much about it as I do....

PeterOC

Registered User.
Local time
Sounds like a good excuse to get your company to put you on a course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom