Security - How does it work for split databases? (1 Viewer)

mondo3

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:42
Currently:
I have an access front end and back end.
The program has a login screen. The program's logic determines what table field information each user is allowed to see.

Can access security be setup to not allow the users to open the tables by directly opening the back end (regardless of what security level the program's logic allows)?

Can access security be setup to not allow the users to open the tables by looking at the linked tables in the front end (regardless of what security level the program's logic allows)?

ex: One table holds a person's social insurance number, name, and address. Some people are allowed to see their SIN, some can see their address, some can see both, and some can see neither (all determined via program logic). I'd like to prevent people from going into the tables directly to see this information.

HiTechCoach

Local time
What version of Access are you using?

Are you using the built-in User Level Security to secure the back end?

mondo3

Registered User.
Local time
I'm using access 2003 (SP3). I haven't setup any security at all (actually, this is the first time i've had to deal with security within access - on previous projects i handled it with folder permissions). I guess what I really want to know from the forum members is if what I am trying to do is even possible.

If access security is insufficient, I do have the option of moving the back end to SQL Server (but I haven't worked with security there either).

HiTechCoach

Local time
I'm using access 2003 (SP3). I haven't setup any security at all (actually, this is the first time i've had to deal with security within access - on previous projects i handled it with folder permissions). I guess what I really want to know from the forum members is if what I am trying to do is even possible.

If access security is insufficient, I do have the option of moving the back end to SQL Server (but I haven't worked with security there either).

What you want to do is possible. I use a combination of the built-in ULS and Custom build ULS. and I also implement a coding technique called Virtual Password Protected Connection (vPPC).

See:
Virtual Password Protected Connection (vPPC)

What is a good way to keep end-users out of design view

Security deficiencies in Access (version 2003 or 2007)

send DB password programmicably from FE to BE?

mondo3

Registered User.
Local time
That's a lot of complicated reading and a lot of it seems aimed at access 2007 users (we're using 2003) :(
If you had to sum it up, would you say that it would be more secure to go with a SQL Server backend?

if so, (and I realize that this isn't a sql server forum), do you know if there are multiple sql server system admin accounts, could I limit which ones can see the database tables?

thanks for your help

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 23:42
if your front end is secured and your back end is'nt then copy the fe, delete all objects, import tables, rename this as your back end. Now it is secure

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom