Is there a cleaner way to repeat this code? (1 Viewer)

Bloodlvst

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:40
I have a split form where if the user double clicks on any field in a particular record row, it opens a form which lets them edit the record.

The below is my VBA. Is there any way to just write the code once and have it be shared by multiple control_DblClick events?

Code:
Private Sub FirstName_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
    DoCmd.OpenForm "CustomerDetail", acNormal, , "[CustomerID]=" & Me.CustomerID, , acDialog
End Sub
Private Sub LastName_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
    DoCmd.OpenForm "CustomerDetail", acNormal, , "[CustomerID]=" & Me.CustomerID, , acDialog
End Sub
Private Sub Email_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
End Sub
Private Sub PhoneNumber_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
End Sub
Private Sub CustomerType_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)
End Sub

Eljefegeneo

Still trying to learn
Local time
Today, 10:40
Just put it in a Sub and then call it. I usually do this as the first event for the form so I know where to look for subs that I can call.

Sub OpenMyForm()
End Sub

Then call it on any of the events

OpenMyForm

Bloodlvst

Registered User.
Local time
Not quite what I'm looking for since I'm still repeating code, but definitely much more friendly to read, so thanks! :)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:40
Convert the sub to a function.

Code:
Function OpenMyForm(ByVal Customer As Long )
DoCmd.OpenForm "CustomerDetail", acNormal, , "[CustomerID]=" Customer, , acDialog
End Function

Call the function directly from the DoubleClick Event Property of each control.
Code:
= OpenMyForm([CustomerID])

Select all the control where you want it to run and type the call. It will apply to all of the controls.

mresann

Registered User.
Local time
Note: The original answer is "no." Each control must be programmed with code to call the function, or process the statement, on its own DoubleClick event. As other posters have mentioned, the code itself can be simplified and accessed through its own subroutine, but each control has to be assigned as their own instance.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi,

Pardon me for jumping in but are we talking about a single view form or a continuous one or a datasheet? Just curious...

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 13:40
The original answer is "no."
No, the original answer is yes as Galaxiom has demonstrated. You can write a single function that serves as an event handler for multiple events. You do not have to write individual event procedures, in fact you only have to write a single function which serves as the event handler.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Consider "grabbing" all necessary controls that allow the appropriate event, such as double click, in form design view. Enter =FormOpen("frmMyform") in the event property, where frmMyForm is the name of the form you want to open. In a standard module,

Code:
Function(frmName As String)
 DoCmd.OpenForm frmName
End Function
All 5 of your controls will call this one function and open the specified form.

Bloodlvst

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,

Pardon me for jumping in but are we talking about a single view form or a continuous one or a datasheet? Just curious...

It is split form (so form and datasheet), if that helps you.

Everyone has been helpful, and it looks like no matter what I still need to call the double-click event for every desired control. At least I know now :D

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I guess it depends on how one interprets that statement but I venture to say "at least not the way you originally wrote it". Calling one function seems to fulfill the original request.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom