Orlando Shootings (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 17:17
But certainly by pulling familes our of Poverty and giving them a good standard of living will help alleviate some of the issues..

Doc, SA may not have been advocating a welfare solution, but rather that a situation where people are provided on opportunity to thrive be put in place. A concept I wholeheartedly beleive in.

Government cannot provide anything unless they take it from someone else - I challenge anyone in this forum to demonstrate historically where that has worked.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
The reasons are simple.

Marriage is out of date, so rarely happens these days. Parents have kids then one parent buggers off, the remaining one - usually the female lives on benefits to pay for booze, fags and bingo. No money for food and cares little what the kid does. Eight and nine year old kids are out till 2 or 3am every night, don't go to school because they have been excluded.

The kid drifts into shoplifting, burglary, fights then joins a gang. In the gang they have a knife and have to prove themselves etc etc. They now rob shops at knifepoint and are not worried if they stab the owner or sales assistant.

Parents are constantly in trouble with the law, they live in cheap council flats, fight with neighbours and are generally the low end of society with mental health problems.

I could go on but it's too boring.

Col
what kind of bike is that?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:17
NauticalGent said:
where people are provided on opportunity to thrive be put in place. A concept I wholeheartedly beleive in.

And I agree with THAT. But the thriving MUST be done by the people you want to thrive or they will learn nothing from it. Without positive feedback, you get nothing useful and THEY get nothing useful. Any short-term solution is just kicking another can down the road and eventually enough cans pile up ahead of you that it becomes insurmountable.

While I think Col is over-generalizing a bit, he isn't totally wrong. Change a few parts of his description of poor Britons and you end up with poor urban American youths in a neighborhood where violence is a way of life. I truly wish Col were wrong but I cannot say that he is.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 21:17
Sorry it must be a USA expression. My Dad was a motorcycle dealer. We call all motorcycles (bikes).

Oh Christ, I've now got it. You mean my little picture. When you quoted me I thought you meant the post I had written. I've been re reading it time after time to see if I mentioned a bike. Sorry to be so thick.

It's my Honda Deauville, 650cc. Took it through France and Spain many times. Excellent. A bit like a baby Honda Pan European but not as heavy and more manageable in traffic.

We also say bike, but it usually refers to a bicycle. Your reference to bike is usually a motorbike in the UK.

Col

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
For what’s worth Col, I was completely lost too. Like you, I kept going over what was said to find what I missed.

Mystery solved and my life is complete...for now.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
For what’s worth Col, I was completely lost too. Like you, I kept going over what was said to find what I missed.

Mystery solved and my life is complete...for now.

Yes, all is right with the world.

I'm off on holiday for two weeks on Saturday. Going to London, Brussels and other places. Not on the bike though. I may pop down to Spain, haven't really decided yet. See what the weather is doing I think.

Col

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:17
I was so confused by the bike comment, I went back a few threads and found nothing. I thought it was a cross post.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Oh Christ, I've now got it. You mean my little picture. When you quoted me I thought you meant the post I had written. I've been re reading it time after time to see if I mentioned a bike. Sorry to be so thick.

It's my Honda Deauville, 650cc. Took it through France and Spain many times. Excellent. A bit like a baby Honda Pan European but not as heavy and more manageable in traffic.

We also say bike, but it usually refers to a bicycle. Your reference to bike is usually a motorbike in the UK.

Col
My fault all the way. I usually try to be aware of word differences but Motorcycles (motorbikes) is so part of my every blood cell I never gave it any thought.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Gun control? London’s Muslim Mayor Sadiq Khan bans knives

His message came as London recorded more homicides than the comparatively-sized New York, a historical first. By the numbers, London’s suffered 50 homicides already this year, most of which have been stabbed. Why? ‘Cause guns are already pretty much outlawed in London so the murderous-minded need to find a different weapon.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
What's your answer then, probably give everybody Knives...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:17
My thought was that if you get rid of guns and folks resort to knife attacks, then you get rid of knives, they will resort to bats (baseball or cricket) and other sticks (hockey or just broom handles.) Eventually, EVERYTHING will be banned, and we will reach the stage of using our bare hands to get rid of someone. So will we then have to submit to amputations in order to get rid of bare hands?

People are going to kill whether we like that fact or not. They will find whatever way is both convenient AND sufficiently effective to get that job done. Which is why gun control does not work.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
My thought was that if you get rid of guns and folks resort to knife attacks, then you get rid of knives, they will resort to bats (baseball or cricket) and other sticks (hockey or just broom handles.) Eventually, EVERYTHING will be banned, and we will reach the stage of using our bare hands to get rid of someone. So will we then have to submit to amputations in order to get rid of bare hands?

People are going to kill whether we like that fact or not. They will find whatever way is both convenient AND sufficiently effective to get that job done. Which is why gun control does not work.[/
Amen and amen

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:17
What Weapon Did Cain Use to Kill Abel?
Some early interpreters specified that Cain used a stone to kill Abel (e.g., Jubilees 4:31: “He [Cain] killed Abel with a stone”).

Stones are a gateway device, they have led us all the way to nuclear bombs. :banghead:

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time

People are going to kill whether we like that fact or not. They will find whatever way is both convenient AND sufficiently effective to get that job done. Which is why gun control does not work.

I don't understand your logic here, it is as if you are proclaiming that the majority of people have murderous tendancies..

Control of weapons would work if you ensured that the undesirable elements in society, you know the Murderous Tendancy ones, cannot get hold of a weapon, and yes anything could be used as a weapon, you are correct.. but many weapons with the exceptions of Guns are weapons that pretty much need to be used in close combat, ie looking into your victims eyes.. only the most physco would be able to do that..whereas with a Gun, you can hide in hotel room and shoot hundreds of people from a window and be completely detached from your crime...

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Aide to NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio arrested; police cite loaded gun, 'odor of marijuana'

A woman working in New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio's Office of Criminal Justice was arrested after police allegedly found a loaded handgun in a car she was a passenger in.

Police say they were responding to reports of gunfire Saturday night in the Queens borough of New York when they found Reagan Stevens, 42, sitting in the back seat of an SUV that was double-parked with two men sitting in front.

The officers noticed a "strong odor of marijuana" coming from the vehicle, which they proceeded to search, according to the New York Post. Inside they found a loaded 9mm handgun with the serial number removed and a spent shell casing.

According to CBS News, all three were arrested because no one in the car claimed possession of the handgun.
(emphasis added)

When you get down to it. Those who are politically inside the pro-control movement may themselves desire to illegally acquire guns despite their assumed disdain for owning such weapons and their public persona of being against the personal ownership of guns.

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Aide to NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio arrested; police cite loaded gun, 'odor of marijuana'

(emphasis added)

When you get down to it. Those who are politically inside the pro-control movement may themselves desire to illegally acquire guns despite their assumed disdain for owning such weapons and their public persona of being against the personal ownership of guns.

How do you know she was against personal ownership of guns or pro-control herself?

Also, being pro gun-control and being against personal ownership are entirely different things. The propaganda machine of "their coming for our guns" is old and tired. Wanting common sense gun laws doesn't mean anyone is trying to take away everyone's guns.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
How do you know she was against personal ownership of guns or pro-control herself?
Unknown. Nevertheless, Mayor de Blasio’s administration has been publicly vocal concerning gun control. One can assume, maybe incorrectly, that members of his administration would be more or less in alignment with those policies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom