Why the SEMICOLON in this expression?? (1 Viewer)

jorge_bh

Local time
Today, 13:09
Hi guys!

Why the EXPRESSION BUILDER in ACCESS 2013 is showing this (wrong?) sintax for the LEFT function?

Left(«string»; «length»)

I'm studing some books, and in all of them the LEFT function have a COMMA, instead of a semicolon:

Left(«string», «length»)

This causes some problems! In a query, when I select the word <<string>> in the function, and double click one value of a table in the EXPRESSION CATEGORIES, then the value is pasted in the function, but there is also the word «Expr». That does not happen when the left function has a COMMA instead.

What is going wrong?

thanks!

Last edited:

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 20:09
That's a regional thing. In your region you use the semicolon that's why the comma isn't working for you. In my region we use the comma.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

jorge_bh

Local time
That's a regional thing. In your region you use the semicolon that's why the comma isn't working for you. In my region we use the comma.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Thanks!

I don't understand well what you mean. I live in Brazil, but my Access 2013 uses the english language. The tutorial I am studing is ACCESS 2013 ESSENTIAL TRAINING, from lynda.com. The tutorial's author Access is in english.

In different countries, are the vba expressions different?

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
It's using the regional settings in your computer. The functions are the same it's only things like the literal that's different.

jorge_bh

Local time
It's using the regional settings in your computer. The functions are the same it's only things like the literal that's different.
Thanks very much! :)

Now I understand what happened! I just changed the language settings in my computer, and now the Expression Builder uses a comma, instead of a semicolon, in the expressions! I will keep the language configuration, since almost all software I use is in english.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
You really didn't need to do that just because of Access. You can just use a semicolons in functions.

But if you're comfortable with doing that then I can't argue.

I hope you're enjoying the learning experience. :)

jorge_bh

Local time
You really didn't need to do that just because of Access. You can just use a semicolons in functions.

But if you're comfortable with doing that then I can't argue.

I hope you're enjoying the learning experience. :)
Thanks! I will keep the configuration just until I have a better understanding of Access and VBA. I have already many books and courses, and all of them have expressions with a comma.

I have experience in other areas, like HTML and CSS, but I am starting with Access and VBA now, and I see an unlimited field of possibilities with this wonderful database program.

I will be posting frequently in this nice forum! :)

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
More grease to your elbows.

Someone will be here to answer your questions when you need help.

jorge_bh

Local time
More grease to your elbows.

Someone will be here to answer your questions when you need help.

Great, brother!
Also I will be answering in the near future. And also in the future, I hope we will have a better world with people helping each other. ;)

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
And I hope in the future I'll be in Brazil for the Olympics or World Cup ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom