What computer (1 Viewer)

Yianni

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:06
I have been having issue with my AltF11 and F8 keys. I noticed that many new laptops do not have Pause/Break key. Do you know which laptops have the necessary Keys for programming in Access?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 16:06
My keyboard doesn't have a break key
However, you can use Ctrl + ScrLk in place of Ctrl+Break

Also you can add a shortcut to the VBE in the quick access toolbar (QAT) at the top of the screen)

Yianni

Registered User.
Local time
Can you tell what computer you use?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Can you tell what computer you use?

Not sure what you're asking

This routine will give a list of useful info about your computer and the logged on user. Copy it to a module. It will print almost 40 items to the VBE Immediate window

Code:
Sub ShowEnviron()

'lists all envionment variables
    Dim strg As String
    Dim x As Long

strg = "Environ Values 1  to 40" & vbCrLf & _
    "=======================" & vbCrLf
    For x = 1 To 40
        strg = strg & x & "  " & Environ(x) & vbCrLf
    Next x

Debug.Print strg

End Sub

The Environ function can be used on its own
e.g. If you just want the computer name, type
Code:
Environ("ComputerName")

However, Environ doesn't tell you anything about your keyboard if that's what you want

However, this link will provide far more than you're ever likely to want to know about your keyboard:
http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftaccess/modules/code/Windows/SystemInformation/KeyboardInfo_class.htm

You may need to download something from that site for the code shown on that page to work.
I haven't tried the code so if it doesn't work, contact them not me.

Yianni

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the prompt reply. I was just curious as to what make/model of computer you were using and whether you recommend it as a good one for Access programming.

Thanks

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Ah ... that'll teach me to interpret rather than answer the question. :)

I'm using a 6 year old PC which is just about adequate for my needs.
No point providing details as the hardware is very much out of date.
Current software but an old PC ....

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:06
Mine's a Dell Latitude E6510 and it's served me well over the past year. It's got all twelve F-keys, if that's what you're asking. The F12 key doubles as a Pause key, and the others all have various other functions associated with them indicated by small symbols below F1 to F12. Never really looked at them that hard, TBH!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:06
If we are talking about a laptop that has fewer keys than "normal" for a standard keyboard, they probably have these keys as some esoteric key combination, about as esoteric as was the three-finger salute (CTRL+ALT+DEL) back in the days of DOS and Windows before NT. If you have an owner's manual or if you can look up your model number on-line and one of the responses is a user's manual, you might be able to determine what key combination to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom