Song Lyrics (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 02:27
A few days ago, my darling wife, who was not very happy with me at that moment, said in dismay "How is it that you can remember the words to over 50 million songs (her favorite number when she is mad) but can't remember ANYTHING I ask you to do?!?"

So naturally I picked the most important point to that question and wondered why it is that songs make such indelible memories for me.

I am still searching for that answer BTW (that's "By The Way" Tony!) however, it did make me wonder which lyric in particular "did it for me" more than the others.

This took awhile, I mean 50 million IS a big number after all... But I decided that a certain song from Jackson Browne was it. It is from his song "Tender is the Night":

And in the harsh light of an angry sun
No one remembers what was said or done
Tender are the words they choose
You win, I win, we lose

I reminds me that too often I engage in a heated debate with someone and in the end, no matter who "won", somehow both sides lose something.

I wish I would think of this BEFORE my mouth/fingers get to running wild, but it so often is not the case.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 06:27
I remember song lyrics which had special significance to me ... usually those from "Way Back in the 1960s" (guess the band).

However lyrics which I had a hard time working out also tend to stick once I have deduced what they meant. For example when I was very young my granny used to sing many songs in what sounded like another language. One was so incomprehensible I asked her to write it down (I could read by then).
This is what she wrote:

mehrzeetotes
andozeytotes
anlitelamzeetiv
akidlletivtu
wudenchew

Eventually I got it ... and its obvious now ...to me anyway
Clue - its a nursery rhyme and it is in English

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Mares eat oats
And does eat oats...

Wow, I would hear people sing that song as a kid and had NO idea what the hell they were saying. It me it sounded the the phonetic gibberish you wrote!

It wasn’t until later on in life when I bought nursery books and song CD’s for my daughter that the mystery was solved.

The ‘60’d band...my guess is the Beatles? Too cliche?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Correct re nursery rhyme - took me years to work it out

Wrong re (obscure) band from back in the 1960s ..
Oh I'm singing the smoke shovelling song

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Had to consult Dr Google on that one. Never heard of the Incredible String Band until now. Cool sound, reminded me of Bob Dylan...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
ISB (another acronym) were a cult band but certainly not to everyone's taste
Then they got Scientology and became not to anyone's taste

But I can still quote the lyrics from almost all their first 4 albums ....

First girl I loved
Time has come I will sing the sad goodbye song

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I wish I would think of this BEFORE my mouth/fingers get to running wild, but it so often is not the case.

I like most I reckon, have been online for many years, had many runnin's, seen and been in flame wars!

I realised there was something wrong when I lost my rag with a guy who was an iPhone guy and I was an Android guy. We couldn't agree on which was the best and we were always sniping at each other.

I realised it was just the same as the football disagreements, the political disagreements (Brexit), the religious disagreements, and here we were fighting about a disagreement between an iPhone and an Android both practically identical pieces of equipment, both providing practically the same functionality, in other words what the f*** was going on?

The next thing that happened was I posted something in a forum, it was I believe the original LinkedIn, it was called Ecademy ("E"cademy) incidentally much better than LinkedIn in my opinion. Anyway, I can't remember what it was I posted, but several of the you know who's rounded on me, started picking holes, poking & prodding at this post. I don't even remember what it was about, obviously nothing of significance. I took it down, and about 10 minutes later re-posted it exactly the same no changes. Someone made a comment, someone else, again, someone else and the whole thing went in a completely different, friendly, nice direction...

You don't know what's in someone else's mind, you don't know that they have just driven through the most diabolical traffic ever, being cut up undercut and are still fuming from the experience... Or come home and found a dog's ripped the couch to pieces, or the neighbours left a nasty note on the door, they might just be totally crazy, off their trolley!

So now I rarely comment straight away, especially if I sense that I might say something I will regret later. And you know what, if you leave it for a couple of hours, or a couple of days, the sting goes right out of it, you see it for what it is, just people, being people.

Basically we are all the same, we have our own little dramas, our own likes & dislike. Just remember there will always be people with the opposite view to you, and you will never change them by fighting them, but if you enter a discourse, and the purpose of this discourse is not to tell them why you are right, but it is to understand why they think they are right, then there's a good chance you will change your views. Or at least you will discover they are just a person like you and you can remain friends, become friend, supporting opposite sides of the argument.

Caveat - I haven't managed to get this right yet!

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
This is the B side to funky Moped, which is what the lyric above is from:-

Jasper Carrot magic roundabout

I doubt if it will make much sense abroad unless of course you have seen the Magic Roundabout. Again, context is everything!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:27
I have to admit a certain fondness for the sentiments expressed in this song, particularly since I am getting older...

This is All I Ask

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbSsLwGC61I

https://www.lyrics.com/lyric/244874...+[Barnes+&+Noble+Exclusive]/This+Is+All+I+Ask

As I approach the prime of my life
I find I have the time of my life
Learning to enjoy at my leisure
All the simple pleasures
And so I happily concede
That this is all I ask
This is all I need

Beautiful girls, walk a little slower when you walk by me
Lingering sunsets, stay a little longer with the lonely sea
Children everywhere, when you shoot at bad men, shoot at me
Take me to that strange, enchanted land grown-ups seldom understand

Wandering rainbows, leave a bit of color for my heart to own
Stars in the sky, make my wish come true before the night has flown
And let the music play as long as there's a song to sing
And I will stay younger than Spring

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Well, that and obviously Android is far better than Iphone.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Well, that and obviously Android is far better than Iphone.

My wife agrees...and will argue vehemently with anyone who says otherwise. Which is why I have an IPad, and Apple TV. Can’t bring myself to go full on and get the phone...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
My wife agrees...and will argue vehemently with anyone who says otherwise. Which is why I have an IPad, and Apple TV. Can’t bring myself to go full on and get the phone...

Reverting to songs ...that just shows you are a Paranoid Android ...

Vassago

Local time
Now that’s funny right there...!

Very :D

I gave up arguing the point long ago. I think Apple is overpriced for the functionality and far behind in technology at this point, but they are good for people who are not very good with electronics. The same technology that restricts the customization you can do with an Iphone (probably my biggest issue with it) also helps prevent errors for the non-savvy. They will control what you do and how you do it, whether you like it or not. :p

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
they are good for people who are not very good with electronics.

Yes exactly! My mother has always been very good with technology, but now she's getting on a bit and she struggles with it. Hence we got her an iPad, she still got an Android phone. I am the go to person to sort out her problems with that. Luckily she likes the iPad! And it shall we say it's less challenging!

I see the day fast approaching when I shall be given an iPhone!

Mind you my If I get that old and infirm, my doddery old hands might accidentally drop it down the toilet.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:27
I might well be a dinosaur, but my cell phone is an LG 3G model that doesn't have a touch screen, doesn't have a virtual keyboard on-screen, and doesn't have a lot of memory. All it really does is send/receive phone messages and (because it was part of the cheapest plan I could buy) send/receive text using the method where you touch one key as many as three times to select a letter. I just have no use for stuff that fancy.

I'm retired and have my desktop machine. I don't go on business trips any more. I'm not on call any more. Go ahead and laugh if you want, but I'm leading a simpler life.

Vassago

Local time
I might well be a dinosaur, but my cell phone is an LG 3G model that doesn't have a touch screen, doesn't have a virtual keyboard on-screen, and doesn't have a lot of memory. All it really does is send/receive phone messages and (because it was part of the cheapest plan I could buy) send/receive text using the method where you touch one key as many as three times to select a letter. I just have no use for stuff that fancy.

I'm retired and have my desktop machine. I don't go on business trips any more. I'm not on call any more. Go ahead and laugh if you want, but I'm leading a simpler life.

Laugh? I might be jealous. The problem with working with computers all day is you don't want to touch technology when you get home. I used to have a passion for building machines and setting up electronics the way I wanted them, including a nice HTPC that I spent lots of time on. I'm so burnt out with all of it nowadays by the time I get home from working 10 hours. :banghead:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Laugh? I might be jealous. The problem with working with computers all day is you don't want to touch technology when you get home. I used to have a passion for building machines and setting up electronics the way I wanted them, including a nice HTPC that I spent lots of time on. I'm so burnt out with all of it nowadays by the time I get home from working 10 hours. :banghead:

I'm slowly getting the same. We've just had the latest Sky TV Q set top boxes fitted (alleged Satellite TV cleverness in the UK).

They boxes communicate on a Mesh wireless network, but it's super flakey, so I've gone about trying to hard wire it all. What a pain in the backside. None of the setting are obvious and after a large number of hours pishing about with it , it's not much better even when wired via a new batch of matching powerline adapters. Grrrr :banghead: : I've lost the will to google apparent solutions. :mad:

My old "bleeding edge" PC (one of the first i7 versions available) is now so out of date and slow that I haven't powered it up for over a month... My Techno Skills are slowly waning with a combination of "can't be arsed" and "I've had enough"

MeThinks it must be an age thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom