Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Theory and practice of database design

Old 04-02-2018, 05:21 AM   #1
Albion
Newly Registered User

Albion is on a distinguished road
2 contacts = 1 client

i have been looking and doing several searches on the threads to no avail.

my database creates a contact datasheets for everyone (employees, clients etc).

in the event a client making an order is made of two contacts, how do you organise that? if threads exists, happy to be redirected, if not what do you suggest?

Many thanks in advance!

Albion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:30 AM   #2
The_Doc_Man
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,001 Times in 912 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2 contacts = 1 client

Here is the question: "Made of two contacts." How do you mean that? Your description is a very simple statement that condenses your meaning a bit TOO much.

My thought here is that you need to search for some topics using this forum's search function, which is 3rd from the right in the ribbon near the top of the page just under the little box that tells who you are.

Topic #1 - database normalization - with the end goal of learning about many-to-one relationships and one-to-many relationships.

Topic #2 - business model - with the end goal of learning about how to better make your database a "map of the territory" so to speak.

Topic #3 - junction tables - with the end goal of learning how to manage what we call a "many to many" relationship. For instance, if the same contact can lead to two orders and (as you state is your problem) an order can originate from two contacts, then you have a many-to-many relationship.

OK, having made the suggestions, I SUSPECT that your problem is that your contact info is in the same record with the order info and you don't have two contact slots in that record. IF that is correct, you need a separate contact list. Probably need a separate client list if you have repeat business, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Doc_Man For This Useful Post:
Albion (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
Albion
Newly Registered User

Hi there! thanks for the answer and the suggestions. I will check now.

What i meant was: when a couple buys a good (ie car), i want to record both their names and details as individual contacts (Person Table) as they are buying in joint name. But together they are the 'client' on the the order (Customer sheet- which records Person + Role (ie Client)). Does it clarify? i am not sure to be explaining clearly!!

Old 04-02-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
The_Doc_Man
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,001 Times in 912 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

I addressed this in the other thread that posted. Since that thread is also on this subject, I will not further answer in this one. No need to reinvent wheels.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
Albion
Newly Registered User

Sorry! I had not seen your answer to my other thread! It helps a lot. Clearly not figured out the forum ways yet!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: