Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 04-11-2018, 02:27 PM   #16
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,693 Posts
isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light
Re: PBaldy and his growing family tree

Ha! Now you're just showing off!!!!
I'll tell my children to get a move on ....

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Previously known as ridders : Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #17
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,836 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

We're going to have to team up. My daughters each say they're stopping at 2.

pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:54 AM   #18
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,097 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Good grief! Catalina, I don't know whether to congratulate you for having such a prolific family or commiserate with you for the chaos at family gatherings.

When I was a kid, families were less likely to spread out. My maternal grandparents had nine kids who lived to adulthood and they had one to three each, and by the time I was old enough to care, some of that next generation had one to four each. Some of our family reunions had 70 people in attendance from four generations,and that was 50 years ago. The youngest members in that long-ago bunch by now have become grandparents themselves. In another thread I mentioned being on Ancestry.COM and searching for family trees. It is becoming a monumental work.

The_Doc_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:10 AM   #19
kevlray
Newly Registered User

kevlray will become famous soon enough

I have only one grandson (2 1/2). But understand the large family aspect. One of my uncles on my father's side had 12 children (only three of us kids) and another uncle had three children. Meeting at the grandparents house for Thanksgiving or Christmas was quite interesting.
kevlray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #20
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,337 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
Good grief! Catalina, I don't know whether to congratulate you for having such a prolific family or commiserate with you for the chaos at family gatherings.
My wife's ancestors include convicts deported to Australia in 1799. The woman was 17 when she was sent here and her husband 18. They had ten children, and the following two generations in my wife's line also had ten each.

By the time the matriarch died she had over 500 living descendants. Imagine their family gatherings.

I expect my wife is related to a fairly large proportion of Australians.

BTW. The stories at school when we were kids told of people being sent to Australia for "stealing a loaf of bread". That is exactly what she did. Plus a tea service, a tablecloth and piece of meat etc. It appears she walked off with a who table setting bundled up in the tablecloth.

Originally sentenced to hang, the sentence was commuted to being "transported".
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #21
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Ah, sounds like America author Mark Twain's family tree - a tree with but a single branch and a dangling rope.

But then again, he was known to exaggerate in his writings.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:40 AM   #22
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,693 Posts
isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light

Perhaps loosely related to this thread, I just had an email containing these lines...

Quote:
The legacy plan will exist until the shutdown of the old fixer API for new registrations.
Of course, you are grandfathered in this one, as long you don't cancel your account.
I'd never heard of this phrase before
Polite way of saying I'm an old user therefore they'll be nice to me?

EDIT - looked it up
To be "grandfathered in" means you are allowed to keep doing something just because you've been doing it for a while already, even though you would not otherwise meet the new (stricter) requirements.

Same difference really

Website links:

Colin
Previously known as ridders : Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:15 AM   #23
Brianwarnock
Retired

Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats to Paul and everyone else. Grandkids are fun and as has been noted you can hand them back, if I regenerate I will miss out the middle person. I have two boys aged 5 and 7 and on a recent holiday with them they out ran me, beat me at football and rugby and in the pool, but I am still king of the air-hockey table! I'm lucky in that they live only a 5 minute walk away.

Brian

I do not have Access these days 2015
Brianwarnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #24
Cosmos75
Newly Registered User

Cosmos75 is on a distinguished road

Congrats, Paul!

Cosmos75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:35 AM   #25
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Brian and Cosmos!

Old 04-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #26
Catalina
Newly Registered User

Catalina is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The_Doc_Man;1573439]Good grief! Catalina, I don't know whether to congratulate you for having such a prolific family or commiserate with you for the chaos at family gatherings.
Most of them live fairly close although we don't see them often. One of them is now 10 years old and the last time I saw him he was just a few days old.

Anyway, since I cannot impress you with my mediocre Access skills I though I would try it this way and stand out in the crowd.
Catalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #27
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

I know how you feel about those growing kids. I remember rocking my oldest grandson to sleep under a full moon. (He liked it like that, go figure.) Now instead of being a shoulder hugger, he's a tall, lanky 6' 2-3" - reminds you of Jeremy in the "Zits" comic strip. OK, it has been more than 10 years - but I still remember little T-boy on my shoulder squirming, squirming, squirming... and then suddenly going as limp as a sack of potatoes. Now he can literally eat a bowl of soup off my head assuming I would be steady enough to balance one. (Which I'm probably not.)
Old 05-09-2018, 05:39 AM   #28
Catalina
Newly Registered User

Catalina is on a distinguished road

Just last night I was informed that #12 is on its way.
Catalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:57 AM   #29
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Whoa! Catalina, that's great. My mother's family had nine total. By the time the next generation rolled around, we had family reunions with as many as 70 people showing up. Over 50 cousins. Total free-for-all - but a great memory.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:17 AM   #30
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Wow! Can you apply for your own zip code?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: