Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Reports

Old 04-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #1
brendonp
Newly Registered User

brendonp is on a distinguished road
Incorporating fields from a number of tables in reports.

Hi. I don’t think I’m using the right terminology here but ......
I am trying to design a report that shows a list of bulletins from a table ‘tblBulletin’. One of the fields in this table ‘ClientID’ refers to another table ‘tblClient’. Rather than displaying the autonumber field ClientID in the report, I want to display the clients first and last name from the table ‘tblClient’.
Additionally i want the first and last name to appear like a name rather than 2 separate fields.

Attached is the relationship table of the database. I want to do this a number of times throughout the forms and reports.

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brendonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 3,827 Times in 3,770 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold
Re: Incorporating fields from a number of tables in reports.

You base the report on a query that joins the necessary tables, enabling you to return the descriptive field instead of the numeric key field.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #3
plog
AWF VIP

Thanked 2,115 Times in 2,070 Posts
plog is a jewel in the rough plog is a jewel in the rough plog is a jewel in the rough
Re: Incorporating fields from a number of tables in reports.

Quote:
Attached is the relationship table of the database
You need to fix that before you move on to reports. There should only be one way to traverse from unique tables in a database. You have created a spiderweb that will surely haunt you when you start writing queries.

Again, only 1 path between tables. From tblStaffProfessional to to tblClient I can draw 3 ways to get there. This is incorrect. I don't know enough about your data to tell you which is the only path you should have, but I know you have 2 too many.

Additionally, tables with only 1 real field of data (autonumbers don't count as real data) shouldn't exist. That means tblSecurityLevel, tblGender and tblTitle are unnecessary. Instead of storing the autonumber value in the foreign table, just store the value it relates to there.

+1 for literally taking a shot of your screen with your phone.

plog is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: